Thread: wiring aftermarket head unit

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

hey guys,

im trying to stick in an aftermarket pioneer head unit. im having trouble with the wires on where they should go.

im left with (in the sprinter)
    -blue with black stripe
    -green wire
    -black with white stripe

speakers
    -red
    -black with red striope (right speaker)

-white
    -white with black stripe (left speaker)

now im not sure which wires to wire up to the plug on the head unit to get it to work. im fine with the speakers

on the head unit plug the wires i know that i need are
    -yellow (power)
    -red (signal)
    -black (earth)
    theres a mystery wire that is blue (not sure if its needed)

if anyone can tell me which wires go to which i would be most appreciative

cheers,

stefan

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Roy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Blue mystery wire is the amp controller one if I remember. I wired a pioneer into mine and if my centre dash DIN part wasn't such a bitch I'd pull it all out and have a look for you.

Had a bit of paper that I wrote all the wire colours and shite down on when I was putting my head unit in but turns out I didn't write down all the car wire colours.

Oldschool Member

for starters if you have stock speakers in the car you need to rewire them as the common negative system used in toyotas of that age WILL make your headunit explode. No ifs no buts.
    There is two possibilities for the blue wire. It can be either the remote activation (turns on amps and anything else that you want to turn on and off with your head unit) Or it could be for an electric aerial. So unless you have an amp don't worry about it.
    To make things easier i always run a line direct from the battery! Put a fuse on it at whatever end rocks your boat. YOU MUST HAVE THIS FUSE!! this way is good becuase wiring the head unit into random stuff under the dash will mean that you will need to work out which fuse your on and you might get noise or flicker when you turn things off and on! The power line from the battery will go on the red line (The one which pulls a constant current so that it remembers stations and settings!) from the head unit. If you can work out which one was the power for the old unit connect that one to the yellow wire on the headunit this one powers it when the ignition is on!
    In the instructions there should be a diagram telling which colour wire on the headunit is which and where htey need to go! If you had bought a JVC or ALPINE this diagram would be on the unit itself. Thats always good for people like me who don't like to read the instructions unless it's all gone horribly wrong!!
    But as i said if you are having trouble finding the right wire just make one your self!!! Wire the speakers, the constant 12V, the acc and all that yourself that way you know what is what!! An if in doubt put a fuse on it!!! Just make the fuse is in an easy place to get at!! Also big thing!! First thing to do is disconnect the positive from the battery and get the negative from the headunit grounded!!!!!
    Hope this helps!
    Cerby

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah do what cerby said!

if you cant work out the stock audio loom in like 15mins, its prolly just as easy to run all new wire for your speakers, head to super cheap get some cheap wire, then you'll know its all done right, mucking around with audio looms in old cars isnt much fun
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

thanks for the help guys,

i think ill just wait to get help from some mates that are willing to help on the weekend and do it from scratch

Name
    JP
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

where are u located i guess i can come down if ur local..

cheers

jace

Name
    Brad
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hook up:
    yellow : constant power
    red : accessery power
    black : earth
    white : left speaker +
    white black : left -
    grey : right +
    grey black : right -

if you have rear speakers
    green : left +
    green black : left-
    purple : right+
    purple black : right-

dont hook up blue if you dont have an amp.

if it is a high end pioneer it will have a yellow and black. dont worry bout that.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

just for clarifaction

accessory power = power that comes on when you turn key to accessory, can be got from the cigarette lighter, or find a wire that comes out of the key barel using a test light/multimeter
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Oldschool Member

yeah thats right and i'm pretty sure i had the yellow and red backwards in my other post!! It's actually the other way around on JVC and Alpine head units which are the ones i'm usually putting in! The only pioneer i did was to rewire the one in my car when i bought it! Of course a thief ripped it out of the dash about two weeks later so now i've got another jvc
    Seriously tho dude have a go at doing it yourself! You don't learn anything letting other people do it for you. Just take your time and ask for help if you get stuck and it will be so much more satisfying!!! Also if you decide to change something or something breaks then you don't have to work out what the other guy did before you fix it!!

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

i got a multimetre onto the bastard, there was no voltage and im thinking wtf???? it was a blown fuse. have to wait until pay comes thru to get some new ones. and yes i will be able to do it my self

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast