Thread: Demon possessed 4AC

Name
    Leigh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Just wondering if anyone has had or would know how to exorcise the demons from my 86.
    I'm thinking it is just a carby issue, but anyways the idle is so irratic it's not funny some days it will sit at 1500rpms others it will stall here there and everywhere I have to drive heel toe so I don't stall when pulling up at the lights and then keep my foot on the gas so it doesn't stall. When I up the idle it doesn't stall but then Idles at 2000 to 2500 rpms.
    I'm thinking maybe I should just get another carby but that will just mean it will take longer til I can do an engine swap I can't really justify spending money on the 4ac when it is taking away from funds I need for a 4age or ca18de swap.
    anyone got any clues or a cheap carby for a 4ac that is in good working order?

Leigh

Oldschool Member

just get a new engine man im sure someone here would be willing to part with one for a case of beer or so, then puth that carbie on or just the whole engine....

Name
    Leigh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well ahs anyone got an engine I'm sure I can organise a case of beer!!!!!!!

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

yes this is a very common problem with 4ac's i belive. my 4ac in my ae71 dose this (same as yours) check that all the little vaccume hoses are all connected to something and there isnt any hanging off any where. i have a 4ac carb from a ae82, it had a kit threw it, i dont know if it is any better than the one i have.

if all the hoses are connected much around with the ideler screw. see if you can do any good with that, also make sure it all th butterflys open and shut properly.

Yes this is a common prob with the carb's on 4A-C engines. I have had 3 4A-C's in my sprinter so far (they don't like to be revved past 8500 weird harmonics I think) And 2 of them did it till I dropped on a S/H carb.

The throttle shafts wear and they develop air leaks that cause all sorts of drama's. Just go to a wreckers and get a carb. The engines are so common that most wreckers will prob give you one for nothing.

Just be sure to check that there is no play in the throttle shaft Or get a small down draft webber, the 4A-C feels like it doubles in horse power when you take the factory debacle off, lol. Oh and a set of extractors, the factory exhaust manifold is an abortion

Happy drifting,
    J.

There is a 4ac at my place, ran fine when it was in the car just ran a bit rough. A case of black smirnoff cans and its yours

Name
    Nas
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

mmmmmmmm black smirnoff cans....