Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ecu options

hay people does anyone have any first hand info on the wolf ecus??

I just brought a 4a and it has a existing harness that is for some older type of wolf and was wondering what people think of them or have them running know what thier lyk??ive herd the older versions have some type of hole in the mapping 500rpm intervals?? so they wouldnt suit a high reving n/a 4a so.... can also buy an adaptor harrness so i can run the newest version of the wolf but at 2k i wanna know that my money will be well spent!!

Do They
    -self tune or will i have to have them set to suit my engine as ill be running a near stock 4age but then i wanna be able to run the same ecu in my worked 20v 16v n/a e.g tps vs rpm(quads)
    - are they reliable??
    -how flexable??
    - will they suit my application??

anyhelp would be sweet people thanks

sweet mate so will i need to get the wolf remapped to suit my worked 4a???

heres a link to there new ecu

1 - No self tune up to V4. Read up on the V500, they may, though I haven't heard about it. In any case I'm sceptical about auto-tune. Just get it tuned for each engine and load in whichever map you need that day.

2 - Yes. They are as reliable as your wiring is.

3 - ?? Yes. Check it has enough aux. inputs/outputs to suit your needs. Other than that what do you want it to do?

4 - Sounds like it.

I'll also add that unless you have a serious boner about the current loom, if you are changing the ECU then I'd recommend making a new loom. Standard flying looms with plugs are a couple of hundred bucks and then you can loom it up from scratch and make sure everything is right. Phantom wiring problems are a pain in the rear.

Hen

Name
    Jeremy
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Straya

Autronic ECU's also feature Autotune and are reputed to be just about the only ECU with Autotune that actually does a half decent job at it.

Autotune is avaliable as standard on the SM4 and SM2 but is also avaliable as an option on the SMC.

Jez

hay mate yeh im talking about the v500 and the current loom that is is there has been professionally done for one of the eailier wolfs (not sure on version yet) and they sell a adaptor loom thing that plugs into it and then your new v500 but to get the new v500 and adaptor is gonna cost in excess of 2.4k could u have a look at the specs on the link i put up and let me know what u think???

cheers

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ive had a wolf ver 3, and now ver 4.

Dont spend that kind of money on the new V500, i would say check out other ECU's first, and save some of your budget for other things.

If you dont want to have to rewire your loom, get a wolf V4, only a few wires need to be changed from the V3 to V4 loom, so it wont matter to much which one your loom was made for. The V4 gives you a lifetime warranty, is laptop tuneable etc, and can be bought new from Wolf for around $700 (From memory).

If you can, I would take Hen's advice and rewire your loom, to avoid problems down the track, and open up your options to any ECU you decide on. (I'm currently having wiring problems and it's not fun!)

Goodluck with it

CBF looking through the link again. But a 4AGE is a simple engine. Any modern ECU will run it fine. V500 will be sweet, but overkill in my opinion.

It's throttle by wire, VVTi, datalogging, cruise control, etc that need expensive ECUs.

Maybe just look around for a second hand Wolf to suit the loom.

Hen

- EDIT beaten by the Davismeister on a few points

i wouldn't run wolf on a toyota,have seen bad experiences with them.

a mate bought a 3dv4 to run his gze when they were released & the first 3 computers were faulty & the 4th one alltho runs the engine it has never run well.
    it is very eratic, runs ok for a drive ,turn it off for a while then it runs bad then turn it off again it can be ok bad or good with no reason.(wiring is good)
    he has spent big $$$ with tuners in wa to get poor quality work.1 place even smashed the rear quarter panel then denied doing it .
    (it ran better after somebody else had a quick look in the driveway & cleaned up some of the massive holes in the tune,checked & set base timing etc.)

someone must be happy with wolf but i would use just about anything else as its not the first person i know that has not been at all happy

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

self tune wont work very well in my experiance on an na engine with quad throttles.

its too hard to hold the engine at any load point long enough for the ecu to hit the target AFR, tiny movement in throttle opening/road gradiant make massive differances to engine load. it is just not practical.

if you buy an adaptronic it is likely we can supply you a map for an na 4ag (20v or 16v) that will require as little as 1 hours tuning, no more than to even with someone unfamiliar with adaptronic, tuning, its pretty easy to get a hold of anyway.
    78's

hay thanks so far guys so what other ecus do u recommend other than the wolfs as i dont wanna have to spend big dollers on tuning rather get a map of ones u u fellas does anyone run a highly worked 4a engine running quads??? what ecu do they use???

will a wolf v4 run the quads properly eg tps vs rpm???

what do people mean by rewire your loom to avoid problems?? as the loom in ther has been professonally done and ran a wolf fine??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast