Thread: 20v turbo setup questions

hi guys,
    i am thinkin bout turboing my silver top 20v, i have recently come across a ct26 turbo and thought it would be almost perfect for the job, (any thoughts/comments on this turbo will be appreciated) i want to use gze pistons with the rest of the bottom endbeing standard 20v issue, my reasoning for this is i like the balance and revvy nature of the 20v bottom end and my engine is in very sound condition so all it would need was a light hone and some new gze pistons and rings and thats it? what do pple think about this theory? the rest is pretty standard really, was gonna fabricate a plenum that used the trumpetts i have inside it and have a nice short inlet tract with a v-mont cooler/ rad setup and a well made dump with a sectioned off waste gate so i can run a screamer pipe

also was wonderin how mush shaft play is healthy?

i want to have it as a high mount setup for various reasons, would it be ok to simply turn the turbo upside down and just hook th oil feed to the bottom and have the return just directed ove the top and down to the sump or would i have to some how spin the centre round to have it all facing the correct way?

cheers tim

The oil return out of a turbo MUST point down. It comes out as a thick froth and if you have any restriction between turbo and sump you will have smoking issues. You can rotate the turbine and compressor on the core to point whichever way you need though.

I feel a CT26 will be on the too big side. I think EVOSti ran one on his 4A a while ago and he may have some better idea. They are also older and not as efficient as the new generation turbos.

Plus keep in mind that the bottom end of your silvertop will be identical to an AE101 GZE once you drop some ZE pistons in. Also check valve cleearances given the 4 flycuts in the piston and 5 valves. I *think* it all works fine, but may become an interference engine.

I think you are on the right track though.

Hen

Bad Email Address

This setup has been done a few times. GZE pistons will be ok, but if you snap a timing belt look out.

Also while your putting a pistons in i would put a thicker head gasket in

V mount set up is a waste of money imo

Plenu with mini trumpets inside it is a good idea. hence why i have done this

lol

thanks heaps guys...

update: ct26 = fucked... it was out of an mr2 that cought fire and i thought it would still be ok given they put up with fair heat when running normally, but on closer inspection, if i fill the oil return gallery with oil it slowly leaks out from behind the compressor wheel and has excessive shaft play so its time to find another cheap turbo! i was sorta thinkin jus lookin at it that it might be too big...

i do have a kkk turbo of an audi a4 thats only 10,000 km old but me thinks its way too small for my application, its a really tiny turbs

my reasony for wanting to go v mount was to keep the inlet tract as short as possible, i dont feel it would be too much more expensive than a normal setup.

cheers tim