Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T50 dogbox

Gunner

Default T50 dogbox

Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a local (in australia) company that manufactures a dog set for a T50, I've been looking around for a couple weeks but can't find anything, if not manufactured locally, atleast sold locally?

Cheers
    Rhys

Name
    Pete
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

PPG do one on order for a W58 and thats it.

to be honest you'd be wasting your time with a T50 cause the input shaft is just too small and frail to even remotely deal with the harshness of a dog engagement mission.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

PPG do both W and T boxes. their T box is based on the internals they use in their mazda boxes.

PPG though dont have the best track record for reliability. Chris O'shannesy runs the PPG box and has broken it more than once. failure was due to a manufacturing defect.
    i guess their subi/nissan boxes have a little more R&D put into them, but the stuff they offer for toyota doesnt sound like its too sorted.

Albins do a close ratio syncro gearset for the t50 also. 2 choices of ratios. theyre listed on their site.

albins also do a syncro set for W. i would say thats what id get if i ever needed a CR box. albins have been around a long time. and syncro is the way to go for me, if i spent those sort of $$ on a box, id wanna keep it forever.

quaife also do gear sets for t50. the distributor for Australasia is palmside in NZ.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Gunner

thanks Mr Slydar, i'm not planning on breaking boxes, i won't be making that much power, so i don't want some huge w box behind a motor that won't see powerband till 6-7000rpm

Banned

The Quaife is a very good box, but at $6500 I doubt its what you are after.
    The Quaifes are really expensive but really cheap to get rebuilt, in the UK that is.
    what exactly are you planning on doing with this box?
    Last edited by Eircamae86; 20th March 2009 at 08:06 PM.

Gunner

mainly climbs, khanas, and time trial/attack, and whatever else i can really

Banned

Most clubman 86s in Ireland run a bell housing to suit a ford gear box, apparently they work really, really well

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

id say albins is the go, or just get a trd set off yahoo. youre not gonna be at any real disadvantage with the syncro. not many people competing running a 4age have anything better. all the clubman dudes run albins.

the quaife is $6500 before it gets here. the casing has to be supplied to them too..

so.. its over a $7000 proposition.

if youre still considering quaife, you could think about using a ford based box. by the time you get a bell (which you can, 4a to type 9 exists) you might not be saving that much but i think its a good balance of strength.. i wouldnt spend 7k on a tranny that is borderline strong enough.

Gunner

nah well the quafe is out of the equasion, I want to keep the t50, the only reason i am concerend about a synchro box, is shifting, revs+synchros don't always work, I know it probably would work, but for how long?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast