Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quad throttle bodies

Oldschool Member

OKay I know this soundslike a bit of a noob question but i do have a vague idea just after the particulars!

So here is the deal a ae93 corolla runs a small port 4age mounted eastwest.
    To run quads on this setup you need quads(obviously), the adaptor plate (T3 sell one).
    My questions are
    Can u use the existing accelerator cable?
    Do you use the 16V ecu or a 20V ecu? I have heard that it will run on the 16V but is a bit rich?
    Aftermarket ecus? Has anyone used a megasquirt with this setup? Am i right in thinking that without an aftermarket ecu the quads will not really increase power?
    How well will the quads fit in the bay? I'm pretty sure that they would fit even with the adaptor plate but what about air ducting? THey would be facing backwards so some ducting would be needed.

Now on another note does anyone know if you can fit a supercharger onto the small port in a ae93 engine bay?

Just doing a bit of research for a new project maybe
    Anyone with some solid knowledge or who can point me in the direction of someoone who knows/ has experience with ae93s will be muchly appreciated
    Cheers
    Cerby

Bad Email Address

the first smallport GZE was in an 90 series rolla chassis...

quads on the 16v ecu = rich.. crazy town rich...

can't use 20V ecu..

ecu is your choice!! many out there some better than others, i used an adaptronic on mine, suited it perfectly!! and easy to use..

with the T3 adaptor plate, it spacers the quads the same apart, so you can use the factory 20V air box.. i have one sitting there collecting dust and spiders.. run a bit of a pipe into that with a filter on the end would work perfect!

acc cable should be able to work.. the quads have the cable in the middle.. so you would just need to make a braket to pull the cable to where it needs to be..

hope what clears things up for ya..

Oldschool Member

awesome! i wasn't sure whether the adaptor plate was just to adapt bolt patterns or to space them out! I had also thought about the stock intake i was actually just about to start searching for pics of them! So i had kindof thought use the the stock 20v intake mate it to the standard air box and use a aftermarket replacement filter.

Is there any better ways to filter it? Do you/ can you use socks inside the stock intake? Or would it be better to just run a 'fully sik' pod filter on the end of the hose and cut out the front of the airbox so that it gets good air but can't be seen?

The main reasons i had thought of the mega squirt is cos of price cos i'm a poor uni student and also since im doing engineering i could probably be a bit sneaky and make building my own ecu a project and get marked for it!!

If i was to go towards a supercharger what the best way to get a hold of the charger, mounting brackets, piping, intercooler and ecu for a FWD setup without actually buying the whole motor? Surely without everybody buying FWD gzes and making them turbo RWD there would heaps of these knocking around? Obviuously it would be better to go with a fmic but for the sake of being a tight arse it would probably be a close to direct bolt up for the standard fwd stuff?

Also for the pistons would i be best buying gze pistons from toyota or searching for an aftermarket seller?

Cheers
    Cerby

Veteran
    Name
    Stefan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i am also converting my smallport 16V to quads but i know i will need a new ecu and the black top or silver top quards which are better?

aln idea on what the t3 adaptor plate costs?

and is it direct bolt on to 16V?

no mods needed?

any help would be great
    JAPANESE DOMESTIC MARKET AS F*CK!!! hmmm, when you prenounce it properly, it sounds gay how bout that.

i plug megasquirt got lots of nice features and if you know ure way around a soldering iron its piss.

You might be lucky and find some one whos selling the bottom supercharger bracket. Theres plentys of intakes floating around (hint hint i got 2 of them ) SO that takes care of the upper bracket.

Piping - get front mout, so new pipes any way

Bad Email Address

slippry, nice hijack - jokes..

yeh black tops are better, but unless your chasing 200hp+ not needed at all.. T3 adaptor plates depending on conversion prices.. so visit the website and have a look, email Gabe, he is more than happy to help..

the SC stuff you should be able to find what you need flaoting around.. and the front mount will cost less than the top mount.. the top mount requires a hole in the bonnet, not only to get air to it (otherwise making in very very useless) but to clear the cooler, the bonnet is the same as the 90 series seca bonnet, u know the ugly back ones.. so by the time you organise all that (unless your AE93 is a seca) you might as well if your a tight bum get an exhaust shop to mock up the stock cooler with some press bent steel pipes to the front.. jig up some hose clamps.. won't be the best thing you could do.. but it will work..

having had both NA and GZE in the same car.. GZE will make you a street warrior, and decemate most cars off the line (if the driveline holdsup) as the tourque/power is almost instant at the touch of the throttle if you have a proply setup intercooler..

but nothing absolutley nothing beats the sound of a 16v with quads hammering along at 8000rpm..

both of you should check the tech article section for my 20v quads using t3 adaptor plate on 16v head conversion article.. and maybe visit the media section, again type in my user name for link to videos of my car at the drags (just to give you an idea what to expect) both GZE'd and NA...

matty

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Your right its a beginner question. Do a search!

I am guessing you or some chick friend will get a AE92 Corolla SX or similar. With 4A-GE. And I am guessing you want a bit more power. My way of doing it would be to get some different cams, adjustable cam gears, and a different computer you can programe. If a boy has already owned the car, it's probably already got a 2-1/4" exhaust and sounds like a bee in a can, which is also good for power. This is all you really need. Just maintain it good.

For a totaly different setup, you can decide between 4A-GZE, or 20 valve, or the quads on a 16 valve, turbo etc as you know. All are very different setups, different people like different things, and each setup takes alot of time and money.

For 4A-GZE (torque steer, traffic light king) you really need to buy the whole motor. Unless you can find the whole supercharger and throttle body setup. But lots of people going to turbo will have these. But you also need the 4A-GZE pistons, and injectors. Plus rebuild the motor with said pistons. Easier to get the whole thing. I sold a supercharger and stuff in Hobart, maybe able to track down the guy to see if he still have it.

Complete 20v is also a good one. But maybe less headach to modify your 16v if its still in the car and not dead.

For quads on a 16 valve, you pretty much need a aftermarket ecu. And you still need different cams if you want to make significantly more power.

I am keen to make a Megasquirt soon also.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Some more things to think about:

read Bill Sherwoods 4A-GE power page. Note the stock intake and exhuast are good for a bit. Get different cams!!!! Choose your power and lumpyness!!!

AE86 group A touring cars had to use stock untake manifold in the 80's. Japans N1 class cars run a similar setup, stock intake manifold. I am told you can get reversion in the manifold with cams bigger than about 288 degrees. Not sure.

Note your 100kw manifold maybe better than the old TIVS one.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

More ideas:

Uni project budget:
    buy big cams for 16v 4A-GE, maybe 288 degrees or 295 degrees. Medium lift (otherwise you have to get shim under bucket).
    Make adjustable cam wheels at uni. Modify the old ones, I have the plans.
    Order megasquirt ~ $300 i think. (Or its easier to get a old MicroTech or Wolf3D).
    Make a plug from original harness to megasquirt. (Saves changing the loom).

I have gear to dial in the cams. Will need to change some shims also.

Oldschool Member

okay so i've already been offered a supercharger setup by someone who has obviously done a turbo conversion!
    My next question is would a gze ecu work on the 16V if the gze pistons and injectors are used?
    What sort of power gain should i expect from quads or even just a megasquirt if i don't put in lumpy cams?
    I'm not really sure whats involved with installing lumpy cams? Is it just pull off cover, pull out cams, put in new cams and adjustable gears, put on cover wheeeeeee!!!
    Or do you need to put in new valves and springs which would then mean we really should replace the valve seals while we're at it and hey lets chuck out that timing belt and put on a new one and hey while the head is off lets give it a bit of a porting and jee look at thos piston rings let rip them out and put in new ones, oh that could really do with a hone oops i've over bored it a bit oh well we can put in larger pistons, mmm maybe i should replace that crank! and so on and so forth!

So basically what im saying is to fit supercharger to stock motor it needs a rebuild with ceramic pistons etc
    Do quads and cams require the same sort of money?
    Cos it looks like aftermarket management is really required no matter whcih way you go!
    Bearing in mind i don't want this thing to stand out i need to drive it everyday and still have something that is quick enough for a fang round the mountian and hill climbs!!

Also jonny what are shims?? do i know these by a hey i'm not a mechanic name?? Also how much are medium lift cams? i've seen some cams go for $300 but seen others for $1000 i mean i don't want a car that can make my coffee in the morning !!!!
    Cheers
    Cerby

edit- after a quick look at pricing it seems that it would definitly be better to just buy a gze full motor than doing a rebuild on a 4age. So this brings me back to the quads, a megasquirt and maybe some cams . what sort of power increase would i get from that setup? At the moment the small port in my hachi is really good fun!! If i drifted more power would be nice but at the moment it really is the suspension which is holding it back!! It gets round the mountian quicker than one of my friends vr4s does (stuffed if i know how) and thats with holding back through corners cos of the dodgy suspension!!
    Sorry to be askig so many dumb questions but this is all going to my decision on which car im getting!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast