Thread: guard flaring question

Name
    Kevin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

in the near future i plan to do a repsray on my ae71 hack and at the same time ill also flare the guards for practice for when i do it on my sprinter. dont mind doing a half arsed job on the ae71 but on the sprinter i wanna make it neat.

so im wondering what the best way is, ive done alot of searching and have found some info but not alot. should i first fold the lip under the inside and then flare the guard out or should i cut lip out and then flare? i dont want to pump the guards out, i only want to eliminate the factory 'crease' by making the edge of the guard on the same angle.

cant be arsed getting picks to explain, i think you get the idea.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I would personally cut a few slots into the lip and then roll them in. If that isnt done the stress might distort the gaurd. But thats just an educated guess, I dont know if the profesionals do that.

where are you based? I am making a gaurd roller
    30kw club

Name
    Jason
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i hope u ment uneducated guess,u fold it over with a hammer and dolly with a rag and its a ten min job each gaurd if you no what u doing that way your gaurd will keep its strength

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

go here man, joels doin the same thing, pretty handy

Name
    Kevin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

sam Q, im in sydney and already have a guard roller if you need to use it.

albertos, ive looked through that thread, i wont be going as extreme as cutting the inner arch out to get to the guard as i only want to flare the straight egde out, and surely it can be done cause my left wheel has already flared the left arch in the rear

so i guess i wonder, is it better to hammer the outer edge out before or after you have folded the lip under?

Name
    Jason
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

were u in sydney,if u close to kirrawee call in and ill do em for a case of beer it takes longer to type then it does to flare one

u fold lip under evenly then flare it out

Name
    Brad
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

are we talkin fronts or rears? i am confused, fronts just fold the lip under and bash smooth with hammer and dolly, rears on the other hand involve some cutting and welding of the inner arches.
    i was belting the crap out of the rears for half an hour with a SLEDGE hammer and could not get them to move much, that was after they were rolled so i was hitting like 4 layers of spot welded metal. when i respray the car i will do them properly just trying to make the wheels fit under for now. this is a pic of my flaring attempt

Name
    Jason
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

pretty good for first attempt all u need is patience and neatness,i normally chain the car down and pull the rear arches out with a crash rack then stitch the inner arch to the outer arch then roll the lip but on new cars there pretty easy to do by hand or roll up new 1/4 panels make up new outer arches but i cant see any sprinter people wonting to spend that much

Name
    Kevin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

thanks for the offer albertos, but im willing to have a go myself, not to save just because i want to learn.

steroidchickens im suprised you couldnt get the edge flat without cutting the inner arch, mine has done it itself just fom the tyre hitting the guard so i assumed it would be possible by hand but maybe not.