Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Grip tips/lessons

Name
    Rob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Never cross the line on the road. Find a racetrack. Go back to the basics.

Do all you're braking in a straight line. (wherever possible) Brakes are your primary means of slowing down. Brakes are for slow, gears are for go. Heel and toe is nice, but can come later.

Have your gear selected by the time you're off the brakes. Come off the brakes and turn-in. Look through the corner. Don't accelerate until you're in the neighbourhood of the apex. Don't apply the accelerator until you know you're not going to get off it.

Smooth is the key. It's easier to start off slow and smooth, and become fast and smooth, than it is to try and iron out roughness. Most people get to a track and try to carry 10kph more through a corner than is possible. Physics don't change because you're on a race track. Slow in, fast out.

Get the basics right, and pace will follow soon.
    Last edited by Redwarf; 30th March 2009 at 01:06 AM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

GREAT ADVICE!!!!

your peripheral vision can look down, left and right BUT NOT UP!!! so look further through the corner and you will naturally pick the right line because you can view the whole corner!!!!!!

figuring this out on the mount cotton hill climb improved my times significantly!! i was staring at the visible road when i should have been looking through the trees to the exit of the corner..

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

and who said initial D is fake and just a cartoon?..
    dose

Senior Member Chairs with flares's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but the ' swirling/stirring a cup of water' trick improved the smoothness of my driving technique.

The jist of it (for anyone who hasn't watched it) is to put a cup of water in your car with the goal of not spilling any water; instead 'swirling' it around in the cup.

Breaking it down even more, it teaches you to limit your braking followed by a smooth turn-in then getting on the gas HARD as soon as possible after the apex.

The braking pushes the water to the front of the cup and turn-in pushes it to the side (Duh). But if you get the transition between these two actions smooth, the water will see it as one motion and followed by accelerating hard out of a turn; the water will move to the back of the cup. To truly 'stir' the water, you will need a section of S-curves with enough distance between to accelerate and brake between each corner.

Personally, this 'exercise' taught me to get on the LOL pedal as soon as possible and as hard as possible after the apex or the water would spill sideways with the increasing lateral G force.

-ALSO-

While Initial-D is [mostly] based around drifting, have a look at rally where drivers often 'pre-apex' slide a car into a corner. This is done not for show, but to point the car at the exit of the corner, letting them accelerate out of the corner sooner.

This is only useful on dirt/snow and other low traction surfaces; I hear you say. A low traction surface is just when the momentum of the car outweights the traction provided by the tires. This occurs at relatively low speed on gravel, but hte same effect happens at high speed on sticky asphalt; once the speed of the car is fast enough that the tires do not have enough traction to initiate a turn. The term for it is understeer and while it may happen on dirt at 30kph, the same thing happens on asphalt at a might higher speed, say 130kph.

So when you run out of traction because the speed/momentum, a normal grip technique no longer works as well because at that speed, you have essentially created a low traction environment; much like on dirt, but faster. As a result, low traction driving techniques start to work again.

Take this example. You are approaching a corner at speed. You turn in but the front tires don't bite, so you understeer to the outside of the corner. Assuming you back off the gas, the front tires may get grip (from the deceleration shifting weight to the front on putting more pressure on the turning tires.) and with the reduced rear grip from the weight shift, you have a nice oversteer situation. You got through the corner, but it was slow.
    Alternatively, you take the same corner at the same speed, but instead of doing the whole under/oversteering thing at the apex, you do it earlier before the apex, right where the corner starts. As a result, by the time you're at the apex, you car is slightly sideways and pointed at the exit of the turn rather than parallel with the curve. At this point, since the car is pointed where you want to go, your tires can focus on 100% acceleration rather than using some available traction to turn.
    This happens on a dirt road a relatively low speeds, but the same thing happens once you reach the grip threshold of the tires on any surface.

This is only hypothetical (infinite straight -> corner -> infinite straight), as some situations won't let you gain enough momentum to reach the grip threshold of the tires.

My $0.02, but what do I know, I learnt these techniques in a Prius...
    J.

Name
    Brodie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

*offtopic*: ^^ post up some pic's of you car man! i wanna see the thing everyone talks about

Senior Member Chairs with flares's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow...

And living at the bottom of a windy hill while working at the top 6 nights a week helps too...

Last edited by Chairs with flares; 6th May 2009 at 06:17 PM.
    J.

Name
    Brodie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

that thing looks so aggresive! soo hot

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Nice write up jeff, to reach low level grip speeds on the road is fair scary but definately fast.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

That Mazda (2?) is freakin' rad, man!

Any suspension mods?
    Quote Originally Posted by slydar View Post
    The real question is - if you can not even make an attempt to write a question in the manner in which someone is likely going to want to answer it... do you really think you're capable of doing an engine conversion?

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Iv raced karts and more recently been doing tracks days.

There has been a lot of good advice on here and for newbies and any into cars take any advice on board.

Few things I try to tell knew people.

- Be smooth, its not fast when the tyres are screching ands youré off line.
    - Slow in FAST out (Never fails)
    - Learn to hell n toe left foor brake
    - Try and follow others and see there lines etc.

BTW here is a good video of a "Good" driver in a slow powered car and "Not so good" driver in a fast car.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast