Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KE70 Build

Oldschool Member

Hey there Guys,
    I have been lurking around here for a little while so I thought that I should post up and say hello. I am more into sprints and hill climbs than drift but there is still alot of great information on this forum. By way of introduction I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade and have been playing with cars for longer than some of the members here have been alive (I am in my 30's) I have decided that I wanted to build a budget race car and get back to basics instead of letting the credit card do it all. My last race car was a Turbo MX5 Clubman with 175rwkw. At the moment I am getting around the track in an old KE55 but I have bought a KE70 to build up. It is not going to be a pig but it will be getting a coat of paint and a tidy up. I am pretty happy with it. Rebuilt engine and working AC for $200. It is very straight but has some rust in the rear boot area that I will have to fix up before I do anything else. I have got some 14" rims that are on the white sigma to put on the KE70 along with a 32/36 weber that is allready on the KE55. I am gonig to stay with the old 4K for a while and see how it all goes. I have a couple of GT17 turbos here of SAAB's that would go fairly well on the 4K I would think. I guess that is about it. I will keep the pictures and udates going as I move through the build. I am hoping to have it all done by easter.

Cheers
    Paul

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Andrew
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Wow, that thing is mint for $200. Nice find!

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

mate 4K=slow
    4K+turbo=stares and laughs

if your into hill climbs and that sort of thing then you do need a bit of pull but as a daily a 4K with a carb and 5speed box would be alright..

edit: they all have rust in the rear boot area, particualy the archs..

Oldschool Member

After getting out of my MX-5 Race car the 4K is slow yes, but for some reason I love thrashing the KE55 even if it is slow. I guess it is because every little bit counts and it is more of a challenge ot go fast. I do love how cheap everything is. I decided that I would change the clutch when I lighten the flywheel and stuff and I got the complete clutch for $120 with the spigot bearing

If I was going to go the effort of changing the engine I would put a 1 UZ-FE in there for something different. $1250 for the engine and box. $300 for the trans controler and $750 for the computer and away we go. There is a good build up website on this conversion at

Cheers
    Paul

P.S. I have attached some photos of my old MX-5

Oldschool Member

I almost forgot to say that I just bought a set of 185/55/14 Yokohama tyres for $60 each fitted today. I will have them on the car buy the weekend so I will post some photos.

Cheers
    Paul

Oldschool Member

Thought that it was about time that I updated the pics. I am going to do the manual conversion over the next couple of days and I have a set of extractors on the way. Then it will be time to sort the suspension out.... Corona Struts a a little hard to come by up here and the one set of RA60's that I could find he wanted $150 without the LCA's or brakes so I told him to stick it. Even falcon springs are $50 at the wreckers.

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Those wheels look fantastic cleaned up! How wide are they? And are they factory option Sigma rims?

Looking good mate!

Veteran
    Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

MInt rims

« R²» Blinky

Nice, car looks good with those rims, good buy too for $200 bucks

You can take inspiriation from my mates 3k

Ill try find a link

Oldschool Member

Yeah that was a good buy for $200 but the Sigma was better $100 for it and I got the rims, the weber and the LCA's just as a start. The Sigma front sway bar is huge as well so I am going to rop it off and see if it is going to fit.

I am pretty sure that the rims are factory ones because I have 5 of them they are 14x 6.5 with a +24 offset so not ao heap of dish but ok to start with.

I have also just fitted a Tacho dash from a CS-X and a decent steering wheel so I will take some more interior shots over the next couple of days once I have the pedal box changed over.

Cheers
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast