Thread: Ken's N/A AE86 Trueno "Saphira"

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hey guys,

I've been on AE86DC for a long time now, and have posted a members ride topic before but decided it was time for a real in-depth topic.

Anyways, story started long ago in 2001 when the Australian spec AE86 was purchased by my dad for $300. Stock as a rock, 4ac and even the original factory stripes. I was confused as to why he bought a piece of shit like this at the time.

Eventually, a JDM Bigport 16v 4AGE was put into it, 4AC just didn't cut it anymore and a Cusco strut brace was fitted to give a little bracing to the front.

As how a lot of people get into AE86's, I began taking an interest to this "piece of shit" after watching Ueo and Initial D. At 12 years old I started to attempt drifting around my local industrial area and truck stops with my dad and with very little success (No suspension and LSD)

Shortly after, a brand new set of TOKICO HT102 absorbers, and a JDM T-Series Axle with LSD (till this day I do not know what brand and whether it is a 1.5 or 2way) was in order. Each upgrade gave amazing noticeable differences and was finally able to slide with some sort of style. With these I had also begun hitting up the local track (Barbagallo) tuning days.

I guess you could say it was fairly stagnant for a year or 2, occasionaly visiting Barbagallo for track days with the same setup. I was still drifting around my industrial area in the wet, winter handbrake being my best friend and each succesful slide had me laughing with happiness (y). Managed to get a set of JDM Zenki Tail-lights.

Mid year 2004, went for a family trip to Malaysia to watch Super GT, an awesome experience and was able to meet Japanese drivers that I had seen so many times in Option videos. Also had returned with a full set of front Levin Kouki headlights and letterbox grill

About at the end of the year of 2004, I went on a family holiday to Malaysia, and ended up coming home with some goodies, a rear strut brace, set of fender braces, Nagisa-Auto strut tower brace, a full set of Watanabe's (14x7, 0 offset) and a complete front Zenki Trueno conversion kit. 2005, as there was no real drift practice at any tracks going on I had to be happy with track days and the occasional slide action here and there, and sometimes kicked off the track by officials, back then drifting was totally un-acceptable.

2006, WASCC finally begun holding proper drift practice sessions and competitions, so naturally I attended
    Started to get progressively more and more serious each session and competition, 6 extra 14x7 Watanabe's were ordered in from Japan as I started to need more tyres, interior equipment was being taken out in search of a lighter machine, added in a japanese half cage, and for the rice bling bought a Kouki bumper, sideskirts, J-blood rear pods, redline-taillights, and a Kouki rear bumper. Since the stock 4AGE had gone in many years ago, till the end of this year it is still going, after all the daily driving and trashing at the track and I'm sure it would still keep on revving.

Short video of one of the competition days
    </a>

2007, it was time for a respray, couldn't go multi-coloured dragon styles forever However I still attended the all day drift practice but because the Trueno panels were bare metal, I went as a Levin, was nice to see the car in 1 colour after all these years. Very hot day and went through a few sets of tyres, mostly having chunks coming off. Highlight of the day was my hatch popping up due to some h3kTiK ripple strip bouncing

Now, currently, this is where the rebuild begins, a lot of time has been put into the car and also a lot of money
    Since it is going to be turned into a fully fledged drift car, a front rollcage was custom-made and installed.
    Sanding of the body is complete and ready for primer.

Guards have been flared to make way for 20mm spacers (Thanks Matt-AE86). So far it doesn't seem like it will clear so the flares will most probably be cut so that it can accomodate the increased track size.

The shell has been completely stripped and in a few weeks seam welding of the entire chassis will begin and interior will recieve a respray. Tedious job of scraping out glue and cleaning the remains.

Also in the works, is a new 4AGE N/A engine, with special TODA 312 degree camshafts, quad throttles and fully balanced block and ported head. An idea as to how much this engine costs has reached approximately $7000 and rising, a ECU has not been decided as of yet and a straight through exhaust setup will be used. Rear suspension will be changed to custom valved Koni coil-overs.
    The estimated finishing weight should be very very close to 800kg, with the assistance of a carbon bonnet, FRP hatch w/bobtail wing, FRP doors, perspex windows all round except for the front, re-location and resizing of fuel tank.
    Not to mention a brand new paint-job should top it off nicely.

This is the progress so far, by late March it should (fingers crossed) be completed, so check back here for updates as it happens

Cheers guys,
    Ken

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

you are a wanker. BAKA DES

This car has so much history, and is such a respectable ae86

Go Risky Motion in the sexy lotion of the goation !

RISKY MOTION!

Name
    Felix
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

that rear strut brace/monkey bar set is rad, never seen one of these before,

also where did you go in malaysia?
    i was there about a year ago visited

Kota Kinabalu
    Sandakan
    and KL

and in either of the towns all i bought car related was 4 really cool kei style exhaust tips really well made and were $12.00aud each, and some BRIDE t shirts etc, i couldnt find and other car shops with more mechanical parts

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

yeh i was in KL and explored even to Klang..
    my parents are locals there so its easier to get around than someone foreign, but usually if u just drive around and just visit every wrecker you can find stuff

Oldschool Member

Nice history with the car mans.

Name
    Ash
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

goodluck with the campaign i carnt wait to see this at the track again
    GhettoGarage.org

Quote Originally Posted by mild seven View Post
    i cant stand "JDM faggots" (people outside of japan who are MORE JDM than people in japan)

Name
    Justin
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I love it... such a mint build

Name
    Phirom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Just stop hating...TINA TUNER wanted ya ass Ken, and you know it

Get this car back on the streets kiddo. Cant wait to see the new "Ken" sticker on the bonnet HAHA

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

haha well might as well show a pic of the "Ken" sticker..
    we got bored at a drift comp one day and i got creative with the duct tape

[attachment=12117:attachment]

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast