Thread: sr20det overheating issues (I KNOW ITS NOT A 4AGE)

Name
    Nathan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default sr20det overheating issues (I KNOW ITS NOT A 4AGE)

hi

my sr20 has recently started over heating it had a leak in the water pump so i sealed it back up with gasket goo but now it overheats really easy and gets hot in under a minute i checked the thermostat and its still working i also flushed the motor and radiator and bleed all the air out. does this mean i need a new water pump or is something else the issue

cheers

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

That depends on where the water was leaking from....
    Water pumps have a hole drilled in them that goes throught to the cavity between the bearings. When the bearing are stuffed the water leaks into this cavity and then out the hole... Telling you it is time for a new pump...
    I would also think that if the water is leaking from there then it obviouly traveled through the bearing, whitch now would be cleaned of all lubricant from the water passing through it and quickly destroy itself..

If your car is heating up very quickly then there is a good chance that your pump has failed...
    If your pump isn't circulating the water, then all the hot water will rise (cause thats what is does) And tell you your engine is hot... even though really its only hot at the very top top to start with...

Also Bleed your cooling system properly...

Was at a machanic mate place the other day with another friend who had to replace his radiator... topped it up full of water and closed the bonnet cause he was done and my machanic friend was like woohh... You ain't done yet...
    Bleed all the air out (took a while) and the car took almost another 6 liters of water..!!!!

If there is an air pocket.... Take your cap off (do this before your engine is HOT) and if an air pocket exists then the water in your radiator will bounce up and down alittle..
    Thats what I was told..

He just let it get up to temp with the cap off.. water would spurt out of the rad in short burts then he'd top it up again and repeat again and again till the water stopped bouncing..

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

or you could bleed it out using the bleeder nipple on the top hose outlet.(best way to do it)

when is your car overheating? is it just at idle? is it when driving along? if you turn your heater on does it cool down?

you need to give us more info on how and when it overheats

Name
    Nathan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

it dosent overheat on idle but as soon as u drive it it overheats even with two thermos and the cabin heater on

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ahh The SR's I've worked on have always been in conversions and the standard water neck is never used.. Hence the reason I forgot about the bleed on it...

When the engine heats up and the thermostat opens for the first time, feel the bottom of the radiator or bottom hose to see if heats up as well... That will tell you if the water is circulationg... Thermostat will open wheather water is flowing around or not.

Does it run any different.? Could be a chance you've done a head gasket..
    Or your radiator is majorly blocked.
    Stuffed radiator cap will also result in over heating... But won't increase the speed at which it heats up..

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

you sure you have bled it out right. is your drive belt tight? or even there? haven't done a head

remove the radiator cap and see if the radiator has shit in it. if the radiator is blocked then water wont circulate and you wont be able to bleed it out properly.

also check if there is pressure in the system when its hot. do this by squeezing the top and bottom hose. when the engine is hot both hoses should be really firm. if not then you got air lock or no coolant.
    also make sure both the top and bottom hoses are both hot. if they arent then you either havent bled it out, you have a blockage or water isnt circulating

as far as repairing it goes you already need to replace the water pump so do that. then just remove your radiator and get it serviced. replace the thermostat anyway cause when they get overly hot repeatedly they will fuck up.

also what radiator are you using?
    Last edited by H8CHIR6KU; 22nd March 2009 at 11:12 PM.

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

That be the shiz right there ^^^^ Top work.!