Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: another suspension question

Bad Email Address

hey guys.................today i went to pick-a-part in kilsyth (vics should know where that is) to try and get a pair of sigma control arms and a pair of rear commo shocks for when i get my new rear springs..........

question 1: how do u remove the bolt at the top of the suspension strut...............its just one of those stupid bolts that spins for ages and doesnt undo or tighten..........usually theres a bolt on the other side that u had secure and then undo the nut but im stumped when it comes to shocks

question 2: i got one control arm out quite easily but the one on the left hand side of the car had some nuts that were impossible to undo. just wondering if there is any 'secret' techniques of loosening up the nut. i trying belting it with a hammer and drenching it with wd-40 but they were even budging.........i hope u guys can tell me coz its FKN frustrating

cheers

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

1: rattle run or hit really fast with a mallet

2: mallet + spanner
    30kw club

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

another idea for that horrid nut at the top of the strut, is to get a pair of multi grips and put them around the shock absorber (the shiny part) you might have to pull the rubber covering thing up a littl, if you care about the shock use a rag, if not just grab onto it. you really need to use a hammer or something, to try and get an "impact" on it.

also be careful you dont strip the bolt on the LCA. see if you can get a hold of some "impact sockets", they are the same as normal sockets, except they only they only fit on the nut one way,i dunno how to explain it, they dont have heaps of little corners, they fit on really snugly. also try and and get an "impact" goin, rather than just pulling really hard. so yeah give a hammer a go, just dont bash your hand with it

edit: i just realised that are trying to get rear shocks off, not front ones, so i dunno if my "multigrip" technique works on rear shocks, i doubt it
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

Or get a torque wrench, those things get any nut off.

Bad Email Address

to help u guys help me the tops of the struts look like this...........

[attachment=12557:attachment]

kind of the same setup as the stock sprinter ones if thats any help............the end at the bottom of the picture

pain in the ass

cheers guys

Bad Email Address
    Name
    Al
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hey man, see the small tip on the shocks in your picture? Either two flat sides or a square shape- that's pretty much all you have to hang onto. Use an appropriate spanner or shifter whilst removing the nut. If you can reach under the guard, or have a mate to help then the upper body can be held usually just by hand.
    Rattle guns are the go but air compressors and hoses at pick-a-part=too much dicking around.
    Battery powered rattle guns are available but can cost about $300 maybe cheaper for nastier.
    Don't bother with s/h shocks anyway. Save money elsewhere.

Which control arm bolts you having trouble with? The main chassis bolt has a captive nut so just swing off a breaker bar or slip some pipe over your rathet handle or spanner or add some leverage somehow.
    I guess the caster arm bolts could be considered tight if they kept spinning but one tool one either side will do the job.
    'Impact' sockets are made from tougher metal generally, but more importantly are of a single hexagonal design, not double hex like your standard kits. Ie six internal sides not twelve.
    Gives better grip on the head via more surface area on each mating side.

Now go use your muscles and get that wild camber!

dont forget ra40 tie rod tubes and ends

Banned
    Name
    Brendo
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

^^^^ nail has been hit on the head lol

Bad Email Address

do commo sedan shocks fit straight into the rear of a sprinter coz there was a vb or vc commodore that had new looking monroe shocks and i want those so would they fit................

cheers guys

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yes they fit, i am using them, when they arrive.

hold the shock upper with your hand then undo the nut.

Bad Email Address

do the shocks have to be compressed to be removed coz i dont wanna undo them and cop a damper in the face

cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast