Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Talking Medwin's 3sGTE AE86 - SEEKING EOI NOW

Hey all

Thought i'd better chuck up a bit of a thread on my 86, had quite an extensive build log on the old ae86dc forums, a thread that was filled with sh*t fights etc that ended up vanishing...... I dont want that to happen to this one, so by all means have your own opinion and share it, but do so in a manner that is within the rules of the site.

Originally set out to build a budget (key word i soon forgot there <<<<) weekend track/club car. Turned into an obsession and as such has demanded a fair chunk of my time, money and patience. Several times posting it up for sale, and just as everyone warned I am so glad I did not.

Been about 2.25 years in the build now, was never intended on being built to JDM specs, nor was it being built to be a drifter. Im sure the suspension specs are going to raise some questions, more so the rear end. All I can say is that through sticking to my guns and persuing with the ideas and theories I've been introduced to has paid off, and for anyone interested in making thir 86 handle I will gladly share the reasoning i've gone the way I have. Im sure its not to everyone's taste, but it is to mine, so please respect that and dont sh*t on it for simple facts such as not having 8" of dish on a 52- offset wheel.

I'll let the specs and some pics do the rest of the talking.... The whole album (should you dare challenge your internet connection ) can be viewed at

*Body*
    - 1983 Aus Delivered Toyota Sprinter AE86
    - Stripped back to bare metal, only minor rust found and cut out, repaired by bodyworks properly
    - Full CAMS approved 6 Point welded in roll cage (approved by DIER for road registration!)
    - Sound Deadening removed, spare wheel hole removed, additional bracing welded in.
    - Full under pan stripped and resprayed, along with interior, engine bay and exterior all in 2K metallic, a modified variant of Ford Blueprint
    - Brand new windscreen and all windows tinted in 25%, new surrounding trims and rubbers reconditioned
    - Original AE86 bumpers modified and resprayed black to maintain the original look.
    - Brand new JDM Redline Tail Lights
    - Brand new ADM Parker/Turn lights & Headlights

*Interior*
    - Colour Matched interior respray, including roll cage, roof, smoothed floor etc.
    - Alloy checker plate trimmed panels from B pillars back, with rubber beaded edges
    - Alloy checker plate floor in boot
    - Alloy Fuel System Box with Clear Perspex Lid
    - Sparco Sprint Seats (New Style)
    - Sparco Suede Steering Wheel
    - Sparco 2” Harnesses (2x)
    - Billet Aluminium (Handmade) 90mm Steering Wheel Spacer
    - Billet Aluminium (Handmade) Gear Shifter Knob
    - Hand made fiberglass dash utilizing original cluster, houses Microtech ECU and Igniter Module, covered in black Suede
    - Handmade centre console housing Kenwood MP3 CD Player, Kicker 6x9 Speakers, Auto meter Oil Pressure Gauge, Turbosmart eBoost2, also covered in Suede
    - Retrimmed Door linings in Black Suede and Charcoal fabric, repainted black window winders etc.
    - Fitted Battery box, 18mm wiring to starter and earth wire return from block
    - Accusump fitted between seats, braided line running down tunnel through firewall.

*Powerplant*
    - 1994 GT4 Celica 3sgte Bare Motor
    - Brand New Garrett GT3076R Turbo
    - Turbosmart Ultra-Gate 38mm External Wastegate
    - Hand made TIG Welded Steampipe manifold HPC coated silver
    - 3” 304 Stainless Lobster-Back Dump Pipe (Heat wrapped) and complete exhaust system, single 3” Lukey Stainless muffler
    - Hand made flow bench tested 6061 Grade Aluminium intake plenum, volume calculated (4 litres)
    - Gen3 V8 78mm throttle body
    - 600x300x76mm Front Mount Intercooler (2.5” Piping from turbo to cooler, 3” from cooler to throttle body)
    - 52mm PWR Radiator (custom stainless water piping from rear of engine)
    - Accusump Eliminates Possibility of Oil Surge/Starvation, Equivilant to Dry Sump Setup
    - Microtech LT10s ECU with X4 Ignitor Module, 4x Bosch Coils
    - Turbosmart eBoost 2 Electronic Boost controller
    - Turbosmart Supersonic Blowoff Valve

*Fuel System*
    - Bosch 044 Pump
    - 2 Litre Surge Tank
    - Lift Pump
    - Hand made 60 Litre baffled polished alloy drop tank centrally located on hand made rear subframe
    - Turbosmart T-Reg Pro Fuel Pressure Regulator
    - 800cc Bosch Injectors
    - Billet Aluminium Hand made high volume fuel rail
    - Complete (Everything!!!) SpeedFlow Braided Lines and Anodised Fittings

*Drivetrain*
    - W58 Supra (Steel Plate) Gearbox
    - Extreme Heavy Duty Clutch (rated to 500HP)
    - Custom single piece balanced tail shaft
    - Hilux Diff Fully Rebuilt Inc. New Bearings, Seals, Sandblasting and 2-Pack Painting, Fully Balanced Axles
    - Brand New Genuine Detroit Locker Centre

*Stoppers*
    - AP Racing 4 Piston calipers (Front)
    - Falcon BA 298mm DBA Series 4000 Slotted rotors (Front)
    - RX7 Series 6 calipers (Rear)
    - RX7 Series 6 rotors (Rear)
    - R33 GTR Master Cylinder
    - S13 Booster Cylinder
    - ADR Approved Braided lines and Fittings
    - EBC Pink Stuff Rear Pads
    - Ferodo Front Pads

*Suspension*
    (Front)
    - Custom Coilovers
    - SW20 KYB AGX Shocks
    - 40mm Shortened Struts
    - 7kg/mm Springs
    - Billet Aluminium (Handmade) Perches and Top hats
    - T3 Camber Plates
    - T3 Strut Brace & Tri-Bar
    - New Steering Ball Joints
    - Front Axle Stiffeners/Sleeves Enabling Falcon Hubs to be fitted up front (5x114.3 conversion all round)
    (Rear)
    - Custom Equal Length 4-Link Setup
    - Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks
    - Standard AE86 Rear Springs, Cut to height
    - Whiteline Adjustable Panhard Rod
    - Nolathane Bushes all Round

*Rolling Stock*
    - Genuine Sparco Lightweight 16x8 Wheels (Rare)
    - Toyo R888 225/45R16

*Hand Made Components*
    - Turbo Manifold
    - Exhaust System Incl. Lobster-Back Dump Pipe
    - Inlet Plenum
    - Intercooler Piping
    - Engine Cross Member Mods to Suit 3sgte
    - Engine mounts
    - IC Mounts
    - Radiator Mounts
    - Engine/Bellhousing Plate, Starter Spacer/Locator
    - Water Piping (back of motor to front)
    - Front Caliper adapter plates
    - Fuel Tank
    - Fuel System Box
    - Rear Caliper Mounts
    - Hilux Diff to 4-Link Mounts
    - Gearbox Mount
    - Seat Rails
    - 4 Link Equal Length Rear End
    - All Coilover components, threaded sleeves, perches, hats.
    - Billet Aluminium steering wheel spacer, gear shifter knob
    + More!

*Special Thanks To:*
    This project would never have taken off, let alone be completed to the extent that it has without the support, assistance and guidance from the following people:
    Mum & Dad, The Steel Works (Dean Medwin), Pirtek Burnie (Stuart Graham), Nigel Munday Fuel Injection (Mitchell & Nigel Munday), Kyouteki (Justin Midson), Leigh Forest, Southside Performance & Dynos (Darren Anderson)

Last edited by Medwin_3sGTE_AE86; 9th June 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

its an impressive car for sure.

im interested though, what exactly do you think is so out of the ordinary with the suspensions set up?

seems quite a normal. just set up for a lot of grip and weight transfer really? seems really similar to what most club sprint and IP guys run really. save for maybe the choice in front dampeners.

im also interested in the sump set up you run, as you know, some people think oil control can be an issue with the 3s. seems like youve had the car running reliably and done a few ks now. your engine is a gen 2 ? so i assume youre running a 2s sump and oil pick up. any additional mods to the sump at all?

and with the acusump, do you know if it has ever been needed? like is there any indication when it activates?

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Looking clean as ever.. good on ya mate.

Name
    gay
    State
    n1gger land
    Country
    south korea seoul

one of the best ae86s ever !
    lol at white people in japan. just lol.

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Thanks mate!

Well, personally I dont think there's anything out of ordinary with the suspension setup. But when I first mentioned the idea of 'softening' up the rear end I was frowned upon for planning on doing so, as many people's misbeleif that stiffer is better wasnt allowing them to see the theory behind making it softer, thats what I meant by my initial statement.

The sump (dont quote me on it) is basically 2x normal sumps modified into 1 to get the volume and 'flat' bottom, instead of the standard angled base to allow for the lay of the engine in its E-W layout. I will be making an alloy one eventually, one of the 'to do' jobs. The pickup is simply a modified stock item, lengthened about 3 inches. Other than that, the sump setup is basically an increased depth stock item.

As for the accusump, it activates every time the ignition is switched to acc. due to the way I wired it up. Basically, I have 40psi of oil pressure before the engine even turns over. But as for in a running application, there is not really anyway to tell if it has been activated or not. Alot of IPRA guys run them with just a manual tap and open it once car is going, instead of the electronic pressure switch and gate etc, which is of course a cheaper setup, but I see a few problems ariseing from such a set up and wouldnt opt for it in preference to the electronic.

Cheers guys, comments appreciated!
    Last edited by Medwin_3sGTE_AE86; 23rd April 2009 at 02:05 PM.

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

How do you find that turbo.??
    Thats was what I was told to get for my engine buy the experts...
    Its a decently big unit and some ppl say its laggy as. But others say it really good...
    Would never expect a turbo this size to be reguarded as "responsive" just intrested to know how drivable you think it it...
    Are you running cams.??
    I have 272's and alot of headwork.. hence why they recomended the 3076.

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Are you running a 3sGTE or 4AGTE?
    Ideally, I wanted the GT3071 not the 76 (which I have) but these were going to be about a 3 month wait to get....
    On the 3s, full boost by 3500rpm, and pulls very VERY hard. Previously I had a GT2871RS and that had no lag at all, I mean NONE! But it simply didnt flow enough on the exhaust side to make any decent power.
    It is quite drivable, comes on boost hard if you're not use to it but I can play with that with my eBoost2 and 'tame' it down a bit if i want.
    My internals are stock, with the exception of a MLS head gasket. Although, I feel my biggest restriction now is in the cams.
    With cams and headwork i'd definately recommend it, but depends on what you want with the car more than anything I think as to what turbo you opt for.

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Best AE86 build I've seen!

I'll be happy if my 3S conversion in my AE86 is half as good as this one!
    AE86 4AGE "Slowly but surely"

Name
    Dom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Really nice Medwin.
    You missed your swaybars. Whiteline?
    ...and what about a rear end shot to show off the redlines?
    So do you still street drive this, or dedicated track car now?
    Great car mate and well worth the wait of the build time I'm sure.
    The Track Car Build: Indigo
    The Street Car Build: Street Build
    A Heap Of For Sale: The Heap

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

This is an awesome car, and way beyond any dream I had when I was your age. (I was on $75 a week and paying Mum $50 in board). But the best thing, is your willing to experiment with setup.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast