Thread: Supra gearbox conversion

I'm building a 4age turbo setup and i'm after some info on doing the supra gearbox conversion, what's involved etc?

aaron_drift

Good luck with the project, least u won't be breakin boxes anytime soon.

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

There's a massive thread on Toymods (, go to the forums and find the search button, type in w5x bellhousing and look for a big thread with a title similar to W5x to 4A Bellhousing Group Buy) about this, has heaps of info on the different ways you can tackle it.

Simply put, there's 3 main routes people take and for good reason.

1) Dellows bellhousing, nice and cheap, but expect to do a shitload of modification. Probably one of the most annoying pieces of kit you can get.
    2) T50-W5x adaptor plate... This lets you use your T50 bellhousing on the W5x box if I'm not mistaken. Generall doesn't work real well, not much better than the Dellows option.
    3) Malaysian/Niteparts bellhousing. Anthony from Kaizen Garage supplies the Malaysian bellhousings, and they're pretty damn good from what he's told me. If I remember correctly, they're similar to the ones Billzilla used to sell. Niteparts are a tried and true bellhousing, and most people are confident with them. Only minor issues with some of them. Problem with both of these is that they're done in bursts of runs, so you might be waiting a while for one. It's worth it.

Most people recommend you use a 212mm flywheel as opposed to a GZE (225mm?) fly, because the bellhousings are obviously not perfect and it gives less of a chance that there'll be a problem with clearances. Also, there are a hell of a lot more clutch options available for the 212mm flywheel.

When sourcing a box, make sure it comes with all the stuff you normally get with a box. Eg, fork, pivot, thrust bearing, bearing housing, and 2 clips to hold the bearing housing onto the fork. Absolutely critical you get the 2 clips. Any W55 / W57 or W58 should suffice, they're all physically the same in respects to the conversion, except W58 has a longer 5th gear, recommended if you have a high diff ratio.

You'll need a new clutch slave probably, easiest way to go is a T18 clutch slave, mine was $24 from Repco. You'll need a RWD 4AGE starter motor and sandwich plate (or whatever the plate is called that goes between the bellhousing and engine block), but that's exactly the same as one from a 4AC so they're easy to find. Ring gears on all 4A series flywheels are the same as far as I know. You'll need a RWD 4A series engine spigot/pilot bearing. Might as well get this new, just ask for one to suit a 1983 AE86 Sprinter at Repco and it'll fit no matter what series of the W5x you use.

*shrugs*

Don't know what else to say. It's a good conversion and there's heaps and heaps of info out there, just look.
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?