i was browsing toymods the other day, and checking out a thread where a guy had put one of these into an sw20 mr2. seems like a great conversion for that car, and possibly an underrated engine in general.

then today i was at the wreckers checking stuff out and although i was already aware they were plentiful, the fact that i could buy one of the 3 of these engine that were sitting there in camrys for about $200 got me thinking.

this could be a pretty awesome engine for an ae86.

theyre rated from what i can tell, and 150kw standard. they run a very chocked up stock exhuast system, and the mr2 blokes seems to think from his research, that there is upto maybe 20kw in just have a nice exhaust system fitted (which of course he had to do anyway with the conversion). its not a ton of power, but with a nice exhuast and some agressive tuning, its still twice what some 4ages have, very under stressed, and still na, which for a track car i really think can be a big win, so much easier to get working reliably, and just a simpler set up with no turbos, ICs and piping, external oil lines ect.

the rwd'ing is meant to be a pretty big headache though. but there are some guys on toymods who have put some thought into it. i think the starter motor position is one of the problems.

i guess then weigt is another issue. and probabaly the main one.

anyway something to think about, im gonna do some more digging and see what the deal really is with working out a suitable rwd bell/starter arrangement.