Thread: 3VZ-FE into AE86.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default 3VZ-FE into AE86.

i was browsing toymods the other day, and checking out a thread where a guy had put one of these into an sw20 mr2. seems like a great conversion for that car, and possibly an underrated engine in general.

then today i was at the wreckers checking stuff out and although i was already aware they were plentiful, the fact that i could buy one of the 3 of these engine that were sitting there in camrys for about $200 got me thinking.

this could be a pretty awesome engine for an ae86.

theyre rated from what i can tell, and 150kw standard. they run a very chocked up stock exhuast system, and the mr2 blokes seems to think from his research, that there is upto maybe 20kw in just have a nice exhaust system fitted (which of course he had to do anyway with the conversion). its not a ton of power, but with a nice exhuast and some agressive tuning, its still twice what some 4ages have, very under stressed, and still na, which for a track car i really think can be a big win, so much easier to get working reliably, and just a simpler set up with no turbos, ICs and piping, external oil lines ect.

the rwd'ing is meant to be a pretty big headache though. but there are some guys on toymods who have put some thought into it. i think the starter motor position is one of the problems.

i guess then weigt is another issue. and probabaly the main one.

anyway something to think about, im gonna do some more digging and see what the deal really is with working out a suitable rwd bell/starter arrangement.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

is this the quad cam thingo in 88~92 era camry's?

They smashed like 8secs 0-100 stock back in the day iirc
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, a weight figure would be very useful to determine how worthy it is.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well it is not gonna be light. its iron block and 4 bolt mains. i guess it would be safe to assume it will weigh atleast 1.5x a 4age.

but its pretty short. its no F20/3sg though. but its also 1/10th the cost.

umm 3vz fe is the next gen kona, like upto 96 i think. 3.4L?

if you dig around toymods searching user name "gianttomato" youll find a fair bit of info.

apparently same bell housing patern as 3sge. the sa63 bell wont work because of the starter position.

he goes on to say the 3y starter will but its not concentric? or harder to make concentric. bit of discrepancy there are 3y can easily be man to work on 3s.

Stern but now fucked off...
    Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

*scratches chin*

I have a 3S - W5x RWD Bellhousing in the garage

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Toymods thread (very interesting read)

Wikipedia 3VZFE Article Excerpt

Not bad if you could grab them for $200 !

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

92-97 camry.

A quick wiki found this, pretty impressive motor:

The 1992-1993 engine has 185 hp (138 kW) at 5800 rpm and 189 ft·lbf (256 N·m) at 4600 rpm. 1994+ have 200 hp (149 kW) at 5800 rpm and 204 ft·lbf (277 N·m) at 4600 rpm. There is no mechanical difference in the engine. In an embarrassing move, Toyota inadvertently created an engine competing with the more performance oriented 7M-GE (200 hp) and 2JZ-GE (225 hp) installed in sportier, more luxurious cars of the time. Because of this, both stock ignition timing, and fuel tuning were set more conservatively than normal capping power output.

The power spread of the 3VZ-FE is wide, having 100% torque between 2500–4600 rpm, with power trailing off by 6000 rpm. Stock redline is 6600 rpm, and the ECU's fuel/ignition cut is 7200 rpm. The valvetrain was designed for no float over the stock programmed operational range.

Though harder to find in good used condition in North America (unless imported), the 3VZ-FE is a fairly common V6 in most parts of the world, after having a good lifespan in popular models. They are cheap, simple, have few problems, and have become a semi-popular subject for engine swaps (particularly into the mid-engine MR2).

The 3VZ-FE also started Toyota's trend of severely overbuilding their production V6 engines. Having a larger forged steel crankshaft and large cast rods, they can handle double the stock power output. A few nitrous and turbocharged examples match or exceed 450 hp (336 kW) on both the stock engine and stock engine management with a piggyback/interceptor controlling fuel/ignition.

149kw is restricted?

Exhaust, filter, timing, 98 octane, ECU, could be good for what, 180kw? Fuck yes.

Edit: Nick hahaha
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Oh the lulz

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

when i was thinking of getting a sw20 i researched a whole lot and its a very popular conversion in the usa.

i think it would be one of the most worthwhile conversions to do because youll most likely be able to get it engineered for road use, not just track.

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah. i think i got ahead of myself with the power quotes. i think its more like 130 odd kw stock, and 150 is easy with the ex + bolt ons. but still 150kw isnt really bad on an engine you can buy for less than a grand, some places, significantly less. but yeah it still seems like cheap HP.

might even be a lot more suited to like, 14 series corona/ 6 series celica. considering it for my bros celica to, pretty sure most of the motors are front sump, which would help the dilemma we are in right now with that car.

we didnt get the "update" engine either. our local motors went straight to the alloy block mz series engine.

im semi keen to try it in like "anything" i feel like taking on something a bit tricky.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast