Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SR20 KE70 backyard conversion?

By backyard I mean my dad's home mechanical bussiness with most of the tools I think would be neccessary. But what I'm wanting to know is it all pretty straight forward stuff?

The reason I ask is because I would rather not fork out $2500-$4000 for a workshop to do the work if my dad and I would be able to do it here for ALOT less..

Is there any sort of guide on what to do that has been written up?
    Am I better off getting a full sr20det half-cut or just the engine/box/loom?
    And would the front brakes from the s13 be easily swapped without to much hassle?

Also, what is the going price for a half-cut these days roughly??

Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be much appreciated. Especially from anyone that has done the conversion themselves.

Cheers, Matt.

Name
    justin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

my mate did it in his backyard, long as your a bit mechanically minded and good at logical thinking its def easily achievable.. y pay 4k if u can do it in ya backyard, and know where every bolt went and no how to fix most problems that might come up?? thats worth more than 4k IMO

my mate did it with motor box loom, pretty sure he paid about $2500 for it from an importer.. prices vary between them.. or u could look at a ca18det swap those motor box looms are pretty cheap sub $1500 if u hunt around..

s13 front struts and LCA's can be used, search on here for "s13" theres like a 15 page write up on it..

theres a guy on here who mounts sr20's or maybe it was ca18det's to ae86's but i think the crossmember are interchangable and u might be able to use the modded mounts then just make up a gearbox crossmember like my mate did, the only big problem that i know of is the clutch pedal setup is a pain in the ass, bit of grinding for the gearbox to fit in, might have to move the handbrake back abotu 20mm to clear the gearstick..

any questions hit here up i remember a bit from what he did

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yep do it in your back yard, as has been said someone makes up SR conversion kits for AE crossmemebers, i think for SR you gota bash the tunnell a little to fit in the gearbox? not sure.. other than that its all relatively "bolt in" if you can think abit, your gonna have to do a fair bit of custom stuff, like making up various mounting brackets for whatever but no real different to bolting in a 4age. just to a crapload of research to work out exactly what you are in for, before you start pulling everything appart.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

rb20 gear box lines up with the same hole they are cheap as chips too considering most r32 drivers if wanting to upgrade their gearbox goes to rb25 gearbox

Sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult, can anyone remember the guys name on here who makes up mounts/crossmembers?
    I'm guessing the RB20 box will need to be mated to the sr? Not a straight bolt on job?

Banned
    Name
    Brendo
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

i reckon the rb box would bolt straight onto the sr, ...its nissan

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Negative.

Otherwise...every wak nissan dwipter with an SR would run an RB box! You need a custom belhousing!
    AE86 4AGE "Slowly but surely"

Anyone know what the custom bellhousing would cost? If it's too much I think I could live with having the shifter a bit further back..

Name
    justin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i had a 300rwkw fj20et with a r32 box converted to it cost $150 to convert the box and i sold it all converted for $500

the sr20det box will be fine just use that with the package... it takes 200rwkw for a while depending on drive style i know of plenty of daily driver 200rwkw stock internalled sr20's and boxes...

how much u looking to spend all up? what mods u got in ya mind?? lay it all out man leave nothing back i might be able to point u in the direction...

wrong
    also the rb20 box isn't much stronger than a s14 box. if your going to do it go for a r33 box their tuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast