Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a newbie question

Bad Email Address

Hello guys and girls.....

Im very much a AE nut. My current ride is an AE82 with a 20V/Wolf3D in the wings waiting. But after a friend of mine bought a Sprinter im pretty keen for one myself.

After much searching through the forums Ive found that to get a genuine Jpsec'd AE86 your looking at 12-15K (complied and rego'd). However, ive seen Aspec items that have twin cam conversion for around 5-8K. Understandable there is going to be hardware differences, but is there going to be a huge difference between the two? Im pretty mechanically minded so Im fairly confident in doing a 4AGE changeover myself.

So, this is my question. Are Jspec 86s that much better than an Aspec? (assuming the Aspec has been converted to a 4AGE/T50/LSD).

I understand that LSD rearends are costly and Im here to learn as much as I can before I go out and buy one.

Cheers a bunch guys

Chris

Bad Email Address

So, this is my question. Are Jspec 86s that much better than an Aspec? (assuming the Aspec has been converted to a 4AGE/T50/LSD).

seats. interior. speed warning chime, differential, engine, the side the clutch slave is on, and the lights and a few other mainly cosmetic things.

I'd say no

depends if you want to drive it or sit there looking at it saying it'd jdm!

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

personally, unless you can pick up a real good adm one here for cheap... go and buy a jdm one that has lots of goodies in it, i believe you'd save a lot of money.
    this is not a jdm is better its just more cost effective imo

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

theres a stack of info around here about the differences between the 2.

like has been said

adm -4ac, open S series diff
    JDM - 4age, i think theres a few different diffs, ranging from open drum-drum, to lsd disc-disc, better front brakes

aesthetically slightly different, different grills/lights etc

as to what one to buy,

you can go and spend uberous amounts of money and buy a jdm one, with some cool stuff (aka someone elses prokect)

but since you say you are mechanically minded, then you should be able to pick up an ADM one reasonably cheap, stick a 4age in with some nice brake/suspension mods.

sure not the most cost effective thing, but we're talking about cars here, they are never cost effective

pluss builidng your own car from scratch is pretty satisfying (not that mine is finished yet, but its getting there)

my 2c anyway
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

Ive been thinking about it a little more.......

Sourcing a rwd half cut and an lsd rear end yadda yadda yadda..... At the same time JDM ones do seem pretty costly, and im still researching whats involved in bring one over from Japan. There are some good ones for sale in the Cars for sale thread...... Time will tell... But I like to think that Im the kind of person that would be happy driving a converted aspec instead of posing next to a jspec.....LOL

Cheers for the repsonses

Chris

Banned

in short... any sprinter.. adm or jdm is not going to work out cheap. you will pump more dollars into it than u ever imagined...

Ru-iki

If i could do it over I'd buy a jdm car even if it costs more. Saves tons of work, and some money. Have a look at this link...

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I know everyones different but personally I prefer driving a car than working on one.
    I'd say why not buy an ADM that someones already made sweet. It's the cheapest option and you aren't going to have a car sitting in your garage dreaming about how great it'll be when its finished.
    Getting frustrated when things go wrong and being sick of not having a decent car to drive just don't do it for me..

Bad Email Address

I'd go ADM personally.

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

JDM = overpriced junk
    AE86 4AGE "Slowly but surely"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast