Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fitting Aftermarket Ignition Coil

Bad Email Address

In a few days I will be purchasing/fitting a new ignition coil.. Basically want to confirm if I use the standard igniter with it.. compatabilty ect.
    Will be getting this coil ------>

cheers

Niz..

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

havent these been proven to be a load of crap?
    30kw club

yes and no... If not much is done to the car you're not gonna notice much but they do work! if you were to spark test and compare the two you can visually see the diffrence!! the MSD is much larger, brighter, and louder! so youre really getting complete combustion.

I dont think MSD would still be in business if they were crap! and they've been around for a long ass time!!

oh and yes you use the standard igniter with it!

Bad Email Address

Why so..? Only reason Im going with the MSD Coil is because I suspect my one is fucked (and its fairly cheap) and Im replacing it in hope that the engine will run sweet, ie: not stall randomly and play games ect... also going to be getting custom 12mm ignition leads to go with it so it should be a decent upgrade over the shit I have in there at the moment... I have NGK Platnium Plugs as well so all should be good..

cheers, all I needed to know, I think...

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

But we should still be carefull when choosing USA parts. The American aftermarket auto industry was built up to make the Chev/Ford 70s design V8s go better. I worked in America in the mid 90s and saw some funny things, people putting "an ignition" as they call it on a Honda or Toyota. Sometimes going backwards in design, certainly not faster.

Bad Email Address

Would there be a better aftermarket coil around the same price that I should be looking at..?

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I guess that MSD blaster would be a good thing. But in a N/A engine I wouldn't expect it to make any difference over a stock coil.

Agreed not all us products are meant for japanese cars but that really doesnt apply here spark is spark! Import or domestic still spark! its just the coil nothing major!

yea you're right!! but its probably less expensive over factory new...?

12mm wires are a little overkill actually anything over 8.5 really wont make a diffrence but the 12mm looks good!! good choice on the plugs my only other choice would have been DENSO iridium but the NGK's are just as good! but if you're gonna do all this make sure you do the cap and rotor as well if you havent already or recently.

And no there isnt anything better you should be looking at spark is spark at this level.

Bad Email Address

Yeh cheers mate.. the ignition leads do look phat, half the reason Im purchasing them lol.. and they are the same price as top gun leads pretty much so Im not too fussed.. I know they are going to work better than the current leads..
    I used to have Denzo plugs in it, but had to go with NGK's as I needed them a.sap at the time.. they do the job thats all that matters..
    I guess I should freshen up the dizzy as well, sounds like a good idea... I plan to transfer all the new shit over to a smallport Im going to be rebuilding soon, so its all for a purpose.
    Atleast I will know whats new and can eliminate each thing as a cause to my engine misbehaving..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast