Thread: JDM Sprinter Trueno importing - advice

Name
    Iain
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hi guys,
    New here, from supraforums.com.au, I know you might get these questions alot but some help would be much appreciated.
    I currently own a JZA80 6 Speed Twin Turbo, however in the very near future (month or two) I am selling and importing/buying a genuine 86 JDM Trueno, mainly because I have always loved sprinters and I would have bought one originally if I could go back. Yes - it definately is going ahead, and I definately want a JDM trueno.

So... the questions.
    - what is the difference between Trueno GTVs and GT-Apexs? and am I correct in understanding that both these models came standard with LSDs and a bigport 4age? which would you recommend?

- what model/year would you recommend and what years had problems/features that I would want to look out for? ie different gearboxes/4age versions that had any issues? For instance I have read there are various versions of the 16v 4age with different power outputs - what years were these available in?

- what options were available such as power steering/climate control/air conditioning/electronic dash - any others people could name?

- what interior trim colours were available?

- could anyone link me to some pages with year by year production run specs that might address some of the issues above?

Also, can anyone offer any personal or general advice for importing sprinters? Do Sprinters need to undergo compliance, therefore would I be better finding one as standard as possible?

Sorry for all the questions, that's all I can think of at the moment, but it seems this is the right place for asking them still finding my feet just after I learnt almost everything about supras and 2Js.
    Thanks in advance!
    Iain

Ru-iki

Hey mate, welcome. Before you ask these types of detailed questions, I suggest you search the forum thoroughly, using the search window. Otherwise people will maybe not be so helpful. Then you will be able to fill in the blanks only and save everyone a lot of time. Most of the questions you have asked have been answered many times. Good luck, mate.

Name
    Iain
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Haha I was waiting for someone to say that. I have been doing alot of reading on them in the last few days and these are the questions I could not find definitive answers to. So where are you hachi gurus!

Bad Email Address

You might find this helpful, as I did,

(General info on importing)

Ru-iki

No worries, mate. If i didnt say it, someone else would. AFAIK the bigports in them were all essentially the same and interchangeable. The other variants were in MR or FF cars like mr2s etc. I have no info on trim colour. No idea about model differences except the early (zenki) axles and the updated (kouki) axles. Which of course means a zenki centre wont work with kouki axles and vice versa. Im no help with most other questions. You will find a modified car will need to be retrofitted with standard equipment to become complianced, but some importers will swap it all back anyhow, for a fee. Hope this helps. Matt

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

2JZ NO SHIT!!!!!!!!!!
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

BrittanySpears

This will decimate all......

FUk

Lets see... the GT-V came with a small port redtop or a large port redtop and the GT-apex came with a large port bluetop and not all of them came with the LSD that was an option as for preference if you can find a largeport red top thats the way i would go!

If you can go kouki thats how i would go they worked out all the zenki bugs with the newer years

some of the options included the LSD, digital gauge cluster, power steering, power windows, A/C, and power mirrors

As for interior colors charcoal and grey, navy and blue, or burgandy, there was a black option but that really only came in the black limited REALLY RARE!!

If you need more references check out under the reference section!

good luck with your search!!

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

be prepared to pay your arm and legs if youre after for a GT-apex
    pair rusty trueno guards
    2x trueno headlights
    pair trueno guard indicators
    rally zenki trueno front bumper
    kouki trueno front bumper
    zenki flip grill
    2x trueno grill
    pair zenki ae86 seats

Name
    Iain
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks mate!
    AFAIK the GTV was a step up from the Levin but the GT-Apex was the top of the line. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"be prepared to pay your arm and legs if youre after for a GT-apex"
    Yes, Ive already prepared myself for the cost. It's what I'm after, no point in getting something then regretting it later.
    Also, are the redtops more desirable then the bluetop 4age?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast