Thread: handbrake cable

Oldschool Member

ok guys need some adivce

the only thing between me and some serious TRD 2 way fun is the hand brake cable. ive had considerable trouble trying to figure out how you remove the hand brake cable from where it feeds through the drums?

there is a clip with splines that wraps around the cable on the actual brake side. and rubber housing around the cable with clamped clip on the other side.

so to anyone who has done this before please enlighten me!

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

There is a three sided clip on the inside of the drums, it's a pain to remove, but thats how they come out... use some pliers and pull hard.

Oldschool Member

^ yeah thats what i was doing, did you then replace them with new clips cause its gonna be pretty mangled by the time i get it out? or are the clips hard to get and you need to be careful not to bend them up to much??

Name
    Greg
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah theres 3 points on that springy clip thing on the brake side, u have to squeeze all 3 at once then pull it out from behind. its a PAIN! u can sortof wedge it and do them one at a time though.

Oldschool Member

ok i was trying to unwrap the clip from around the cable hence it got mangled.

So you squeeze the clip, and it passes through the hole in the drum?

or squeezing the clip releases the spline things and you pull it out on the brake side?

was getting so frustrated last night it was farken cold and i want my god damn 2 way in!

Or if the T18 cables were ok (sounds like you've broken them now though) then you can use them. Either add a 10mm spacer under the adjuster nut on the lever, or use an SV11 front handbrake cable section.

Good luck
    Hen

Oldschool Member

the cable is fine just the clip is abit mangled

my problem with using the t-18 cable is where it connects to a short length of cable running to the lever in the underbody is different

ae86: individual cables for each drum connecting to each side of a plate with handbrake lever cable connected to the middle

t-18 single cable runs through semi circle bracket with different size hole (then the 86) for attachment of handbrake lever cable

i think ill try stick with the swapping to 86 cable seems like it will be easier, is it just me being a retard or is this a real pain in the arse?

Name
    Hurb
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

bro sorry i just read this forum. The best way to get those spline looking clips out the inside of the drum is to disconnect the end of the cable from the it's bracket then slide the ring end of a spanner(10mm from memory but don't quote me on size) over the end down onto the spline looking clip. If yuo use the right spanner all thesplines should be pulled in together and you should be able to wiggle the cables straight out of the drum. Hope this helps
    IMMORTAL IMAGES
    tattooing & body piercing
    home of the dori oni tattoo