Thread: Halfcut buying advice needed

Name
    Vesley
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hi guys,
    I'm currently in the hunt for an AE111 halfcut for me AE86. I've looked at a few cuts and theres a fair price difference between the auto and manual AE111 20V blacktops. Is it worth getting the Auto cut and using the cash saved to get a lightened flywheel, or am I overlooking things?

Is there any difference between the auto and manual engine/ecu?
    Would I need more than just a flywheel to get the Auto cut going with the T50 box?

I'm well aware the RWD conversion is not a straight in, tie your shoelaces and your done job. I'm basically after any reasons why an Auto cut wouldn't be just as good as a manual, for a AE86 conversion.
    Cheers,
    Ves

Name
    Carl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Stuff getting a halfcut, just get a ae111 engine package. Its all you need for the conversion. If you get a halfcut you then have to worry about all the parts you can't use and trust me no one out there wants them either.

If you go aftermarket ecu it will not matter if you go manual or auto.

Oldschool Member

how much is the half cut costing you?

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

I think that the differences in ECU's would depend on whether the auto has it's own ecu which controls it or not. I know that my sprinter has a seperate control box for the auto, so i should be able to convert it to manual once it's complied. not sure if the newer motors use a new system though.

Other than a clutch and flywheel it should be easy to convert to manual otherwise.

Basically you should be fine with an auto cut. You only really need the engine, some accessories, loom and ECU.

And the only hting that would worry me is if the auto ECU would have a hissy fit if there was no auto box connected. However looking at it seems an auto ECU won't mind a manual box.

So the money saved would be very well spent on a super-light flywheel.

Hen

Also the manual cuts may well be extra steep if they have the sought after 6speed FWD box included.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

wouldn't you just be able to bridge the gear selection switch in the auto, so the ecu thinks it's in park permanently? it should just be a matter of bridging the wires together

Yes.

That's the simple part, to get around the neutral start switch. But some cars have more complicated communication between the autobox and the ECU, which cause things to go pearshaped if no autbox is "seen". Fortunately in this case, a blacktop ECU seems not to care.

Name
    Vesley
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kapour)</div> Yeah I wanna avoid going the after market ecu route, it's expensive, takes alot of dyno time to get running as good as the stock ecu and unless your sticking in some big cams, it's pretty much useless. I want her to run clean and easy. Also, the cost of engine packages aren't a whole lot cheaper than buying a halfcut, besides it makes life easier when you need all the little things. Like transplanting the gauges and what not... wanna try and mess around with the powersteering as well, see if I can't get it to fit the sprinter. Oh, and the fact that you can start it and know it goes from the word go is always good.

Sweet, just checked out the 4ag link, thanks for the help
    lol, just hope all goes to plan... hate it when I get into a project and realise there was a million and one things I didn't see coming...