Thread: 20V Blacktop

Name
    Carl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey everyone.

Looking at doing 20V blacktop conversion into my AE86. There are just a couple of things I wouldn't mind knowing before I go throwing money around.
    I know I will need to convert it to a coilpack type ignition setup using a aftermarket computer, I know that the cooling system needs to be changed (going from FWD to RWD) using some kind of water adapter/rerouting plate. (Which I saw on this site somewhere)

Are there any major changes other then these that will need to be carried out to make it work? Such as,

-Gearbox
    -Have heard something about alternator bracket???
    -And something about water pump. (Read somewhere it needs to be replaced with 16v one)

Any thing else you could tell me would be appreciated. And unless you have something constructive to add I'd appreciate no stupid comments, such as "use google" or use "the conversion guide page" as I have looked, and I did find some things. Just wanted to ask the people who may have done it recently. Sorry this post is so long.

Cheers, kiwi_ae86

Bad Email Address

there is a tech questions section for a reasons, please use it...

riojin

and not only that you could probably find quite a few threads on this forums by searching first.

search button - please use it

Name
    Carl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I here you mate, I did search, well before I put this post up. I even remember there been an "Ultimate 20v Conversion Guide" page on this website. It's gone, for what reason I have no idea. Try'd to find it using google and the link no longer works. There is another page similar to this that lists two items needed. The rear water plate/adapter, the need to change to coil ignition setup and a small peice on a 20V custom airbox. I emailed these people and the particular company apparently selling them and got 0 response. So thanks for the advice but the search button is no good. Usually takes me to a "members ride" page.

Like I said, looking to hear from people who may have currently done this particular conversion and any advice they might have for me, an ametuer to say the least when it comes to cars and engines.

Thanks though, really helpful.

kiwi_ae86

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

There is no perfect 100% complete 20v conversion page on this forum. There are a number of good ways to do it. You don't need to use coil packs. I will write about mine with pics oneday, but still not finnished.

For the waterpump and alternator bracket side of things, you are best to use JDM AE86 everything. Buy a new waterpump, and buy the brackets new unless you can find them second hand. You need to make the top water housing that goes on the head. Make it to suit a top radiator hose, and best to put in a thermostate bypass there also. Buy the radiator hoses from Toyota also, and thermostate housing and pulley etc.

For the back of the head, you can make a alloy plate (thick) with a channel thick enough to route the water around the head. OR you can drill a big hole in the head, and use a flat plate to block off holes. With a hole for heater pipe. I am using the RWD 4A-GE water thing on the back of the head, as it bolts up to 20 valve, but I have made a hole in the head.

For ignition:
    Keep the crank angle sensor, take the dizzy cap and rotor off.
    You can make a bracket so the dizzy cap and rotor is run off the front exhaust cam gear. Then use a normal coil and plug leads.
    Or use Hyundia or 4A-GZE ignition coils.
    Or use 4 coil-on-plugs from a newish car.

Name
    Carl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks dude,

lots of good info. Hope to see pics of your 86 soon.

Cheers

kiwi_ae86