Name
    Shawn
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

my old tires were 205/65r15s on a 6 inch rim
    my new ones are 225/55r16s on an 8 inch rim
    the arse kicks out WAY easier on my new 225s which doesnt make sense to me? is this a sideeffect of having a much stiffer side wall or are the rear tires really worth the next to nothing that I paid for them. I know wit suspension it's usually stiffness vs grip so any light anyone wants to shed would be great

IMO tyres are the single thing with the biggest impact on handling of a car. If you bought shitty tyres, they wont grip, and you will slide.

Get some good ones, or if they're going to be drifter (ON TRACK) then find some decent second hand ones.

Hen

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

it's actually probably due to a lower profile and tighter fitting tyre, hence there is less tyre squirm.

Drag cars, big, higher profile tyres for grip

but yeah, shit tyres would also do the trick

Bad Email Address

The profile of the 205/65 is 133mm and 123mm for the 225/55 so not much difference there but I think the stretch will make a difference enough to notice.

When tires slide, the grip of the tire is mostly dependant on compound so I'm guessing you bought the worst tires money could buy for you.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

one idea I just had, was that you now have a much wider tyre so therefore the pressure on the ground is lower

pressure = force/area

force = weight of car

area = tyre width.

I was reading somewhere, that there becomes a point where a larger tyre surface are, can actually be detrimental to grip because, like above, the actual pressure on the ground drops.

obviously this is a very crude analysis, and there are a lot more factors involved with "grip", but it was just an idea I had.

my bet would just be you have crap tyres, if they are 2nd hand, maybe they been sitting somewhere for ages and have gone hard and buggered.

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Will
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

cheap shit tyres don't grip, if they did then the universe would be all topsy turvey

no offence ke70dave

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah I use to buy cheap pov pack 185/60/r14 rwc $10 tyres for my 1st ae86 and wondered y I spin out all the time...
    now using goodyear grid 195/50/r15 tyres that stick in the wet
    30kw club

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

where did you get that quote from? it's not in my reply there???? :blink:

I know cheap tyres don't grip, if they did, like you said, the world would be silly

edit: yeah I get what you've done, very cunning and smart, yeah ill agree it was a bit bla bla bla-ish lol
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Shawn
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I was actually thinking that myself. also I was thinking less pressure on the tire could mean improved tread wear. is it just me or have we solved the age old question of "if drifting's about sliding why do d1 drivers have rediculously large tires on the rear but small ones on the front" lol

and yes I'm pretty sure they'v been sitting around getting old and buggered.. I mean the tread has cracks in it lol if you see me round il probably be taking advantage of my crappy tires and rippin skids

Don't put much faith in the "derivation" above. Tyre grip and wear depend on a huge number of factors that aren't particularly well understood (Google "pacjeka magic tyre model" and have a read).

You have shit tyres. They will slide.

The stiffer, smaller sidewall should help the situation. However refer to the above again.

Hen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast