Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AE86 Start signal

Bad Email Address

*puts on his retarded hat*

okay

my start signal forthe starter motor is earthed.

is that normal?

when you turn the key it goes to like 0.03 volts

I suffer big voltage drop (to 7v) during cranking.

is that normal?....

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

little unclear as to what exactly your talking about, on the starter motor there are 2 wires

1 - big fat positive straight from the battery
    2 - a normal sized wire that comes from your ignition barell, which is your solenoid trigger wire

if that solenoid trigger is earthed it will just cause a dead short = bad, might explain your uber voltage drop.

if it was the trigger wire that was earthed, I would expect no cranking at all

exactly how is it earthed?

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

multimeter plugged into the solenoide switch wire (earth on multimeter)
    red multimeter wire goes to battery +ve
    multimeter reads 12V

This leads me to believe that the starter signal wire (not the big power thingo) is earthed(right?)

leaving the multimeter there, and turning the key to start, it drops to zero

the headphuckery thing about it is, the car will still crank.

So this is making me think it's earthing somewhere, so, when the car is cranking there's a massive short and it can't do what it's meant to and etc.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ahh ok

well basically if a wire isn't supplying positive, then it is grounded (it's just how it is)

so the fact that the wire is earthed when your not cranking is normal

and the zero reading you get is also normal (when you are cranking), because the trigger wire will be 12V positive, and the other end of multimeter is also connected to 12V positive (the battery), so the potential difference between the 2 points is zero volts (remember multimeter measures potential differences, not absolute voltage, essentially all measurements are potential differences anyway)

so from what you have said everything is connected up normal

if the car cranks normally and actaully starts then I cannot see any problems, voltage drop will occur cuase remember you are pulling like 30amps from the battery, somethings gota give!!

does this make sense?
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

nah it dosent start

I get no fuel/spark during cranking

but if you turn it to ignition on, and spin the dizzy by hand, you get fuel and spark..

so ah, hrm, yeah, wtf.

it's been like that for months.

Bad Email Address

okay that's weird.

1. turn car to start and check spark/fuel, sparks once twice or thrice then no more spark/fuel.
    2. remove dizzy from engine, and spin by hand in ignition, have constant spark/fuel.
    3. have starter motor disconnected but turn switch to START and spin dizzy by hand, we have fuel and spark still
    4. reconnect starter, spin dizzy by hand, we have fuel spark still (while engine is cranking) thought he spark/fuel is a bit weaker than when not cranking.
    5. this has left me totally confused.

maybe the problem has magically fixed itself, but I doubt that.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ohh ok thats kinda weird, I don't have much experience with much else

isn't there a cranking signal on a 4age computer? (I assume it's 4age) that coudl be somethign to do with it

anyone else got any ideas?

edit just read your reply, I'm so confused, dodgy connection?
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

but dodgy connection to what?

There was a cranking signal for the original AE86 ecu, which I've replaced with a stinger 4424 thingo.

so I was thinking maybe that wire cranking signal I disconnected was shorting and fuxing shit up.

but then, why would it still be able to spark/fuel while cranking the starter but spinning the dizzy by hand (it's sorta confusing)

Could it just be that your battery is stuffed.

If I understand right, it'll spark and inject if you spin the dizzy by hand with the starter disabled. However if you crank it normally with the starter then you get no spark and fuel.

The only difference is the starter will be pulling power in the second case. If your battery voltage drops too low (below 9-10 V)then you can get strange issues.

Also the starter signal wire should be open (neither earthed nor powered) normally. With the key at STA then it should have 12V. It's pretty easy to check that.

Hen

Bad Email Address

it'll also spark if you're spinning the dizzy by hand while cranking the engine.

so the starter motor is going, turning the engine while the dizzy is sitting in your hand having the cam gears spun .. it'll spark ( I did that to check if it was the starter causing too low voltage to make the ecu shut off)

and the fact it still sparked like that, has made me verrrrrry confused.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast