Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Takumi tax

Bad Email Address

Default Takumi tax

Hey fellas,

I have regularly been browsing through yahoo.jp and many other japanese car oriented selling sites and cant come to justice why we pay close to 4 times the amount the japs are buying and selling it for.

I understand how the yen is going bad, and money needed to cover import costs and shipping etc but i sat down with a very screwed on import fella and had a chat and discussed how it does cost a tad more but not the crazy amount were buying stuff at.

Even when the yen was good i still believe things were a wee bit expensive, and as a few people may know me im not bothered to fork out a couple of grand for grouse gear but i guess its come to the point where many of us 86 fellas stop fiddling with our cars and buying bits cause of how pricey it is. Makes me want to get a 40ft to japan buy bits and sell them what gear should be sold at, just enough to cover my cost and make minimal profit.

I know money makes the world spin but were either a car club or people tryna make money off everything. I think the money making bit should be left out of the car scene and back into the work scene.

Anyways thats my two cents

Name
    Aaron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Import stuff, works out cheaper and better.

It's pretty funny really, jdm washer tanks are like 150 here? or some crap like that, you can get them for $5, yes FIVE dollars in japan. Whiteline tail lights cost like $50 bucks each, watanabes are worth nothing, longchamps are cheap as chips, even second hand nardis are cheap.

Bad Email Address

yeah, i actually have a full set of jdm washer bottles that i was trying to sell, following the aus markets price of 2nd hand ones and never come across to there real price but in japan 120 australian can buy them brand new and thats for both windscreen washer and overflow.

Also it happens to all car clubs but us 86 guys do get a shitload imported to many other car affilated sites

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

there are a few very legitimate reasons why 86s stuff costs more.

1 like you conceded. it costs comparatively more in Japan, 86 after market stuff, compared to nissan stuff.

2 it is quite rare. there really isnt that much to go around.

3 it is a small scene here, compared to silvias ect. meaning the scene can not support a proper wholesaler. no one with enough money to make it work can be bothered, cos there is not that much money in it.

another small problem is, it is not that easy to just go to japan and "fill a 40ft container" because there is not an abundance of parts, you just cant buy tons of hot 2nd hand 86 shit for cheap and bring it back. related to this is that, if you're there in japan, its not uncommon to find yourself in the situation being a "buyer" where the japanese are unwilling to sell to foreigners. they dont (understandably) like seeing it all going over seas.

obviously yahoo is the exception, but yahoo alone cant really support a proper business.

86s are in the realm of true enthusiasts now. there, and here as well almost, they are not owned by people who logically sit down and think about what car will best suit there needs.

because there is a car that is cheaper and will better suit your needs 100% of the time. you have to really want to own an 86, and that means conceding that some stuff just costs more
    78's

Bad Email Address

i totally agree, but we really do need a proper wholesaler.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

then though, if you are just objecting to rampant profiteering. dont play the game. there are ways around it 100% of the time.

that sort of thing though happens everywhere.

like.. this website, does not represent the true core ae86s enthusiasts. its just a bunch of kids who are starting to get into them. once youre into it, you know the ins and outs, you know where to buy stuff, and where not to.
    78's

Bad Email Address

oh for sure, though sometimes its just that one bloke who is holding you from your finished 86 to unfinished 86.

and i dont mind profiteering in anyway, but the amount of mark up some items have are unbelievable, i can understand if its that rare part or super expensive brand but so many common parts cost a whole lot more then they should.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

It might seem steep, but think about it from an importer's point of view. Suddenly you have overheads: a warehouse, trips to and from Japan, shipping, taxes, duties and fees. Then you have to earn enough to support yourself and pay any employees you have. And you have a relatively small market to sell to, so every part has to cover a larger proportion of your overheads.

Like mechanics and drive in - drive out conversions seem expensive to me, but then again, they aren't doing it for a hobby.

Hen

Bad Email Address

yeah thats more on a whole lot larger basis

Banned

hens exactly right, overheads = mark ups. dont like it?? move to japan.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast