Thread: GZE head... and cam question

Name
    Dusty
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

hey,
    just pulled my head off today.... well attempted to, took all the head bolts etc... off and then bracket that holds the supercharger onto the block but still the head doesn't budge at all... I'm trying to pull the head off with the supercharger etc still attached anyone have any ideas on what is still holding it on?? all head bolts are out so thats not it.

Next question i have is, the whole big port cams has been thrown around a bit, do these run fine, stock cam gears etc? any different to set up? i don't think they are just want to confirm.

P.S hen was right the head bolts and even the rocker cover gasket are exactly the same as GE ones....
    the end
    thanks in advance

Bad Email Address

youd be lucky to get the whole sc setup off with the head its by far easier to just take it off first. you have to take the outer part of the manifold off to acees other bolts anyway im sure it is mounted to the block behind the outer manifold. not sure on ge bigport cams but im running na smallprt cams in my gte worked fine!!

Name
    Dusty
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

got it off.... turns out i wasn't putting my back into it its all off with the supercharger and everything, so now i jsut need the cam questions answered, and wondering if there will be too much of a loss at the bottom end cause of overlap and boost leaking out
    ?

Bad Email Address

Next question i have is, the whole big port cams has been thrown around a bit, do these run fine, stock cam gears etc? any different to set up? i don't think they are just want to confirmi dont understand what that means??

Name
    Dusty
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

people have said you can put bigport cams on a gze and its an "upgrade" just wondering if this is true? and will i have overlap problems e.g losing heaps of bottom end etc???

I've never done the cam swap myself, however Wing (DODGY86) spoke to me about it once. Sounded like it was a straight bolt in affair.

Bear in mind that the cam changeover wasn't the same as bigport -> smallport, it happened earlier. This means you can get a bigport motor with the "smallport" cams. Also we are talking about a change from 232deg/7.1mm to 240deg/7.56mm (from the top of my head, easy to confirm/deny though). It's not going to set the world on fire. I'd suggest you won't even notice the difference.

Hen

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

im pretty sure its all bolt in. the big port cams are 242deg arent they? which is probably a little bit of an upgrade i spose. big port heads are cheap why not jus put one of them on?

Easy way to check, take off the cam covers, then measure lobe lift with verniers.

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

hmmm thats in interesting pic. ive got small port cam gears on my engine but its a big port :blink:

Name
    Steve
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ran big port cams on my smallport GZE, helped it breath a bit better higher up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast