Thread: TYRE SIZES

Name
    Justin
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Thread cleaned.

For moderator post, see medwins build thread. I cannot be fucked retyping it.

Basically shit like that = gay = formal reprimand

shouldnt a mod. choose his words a little more carefully?

Name
    Kane
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Name
    Kane
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

gives you more track, stops side wall flex in the tyre giving better rigidity in a way.

obviously you are talking bout grip
    sorry but the first post was meant for people drifting.

fuck, thought you would have known that?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

*Draws in breath*

Ok.

The idea of 'stretching tyres' for performance use is not just for show.

Stretching a tyre does a few things:

- It allows more negative offset rims to be run with minimal guard mods due to more clearance.
    - The sidewall is pulled tight to give more response through both the throttle and steering wheel.
    - It looks cool.

When the japs first stretched tyres they did not get a stock width rim and put on a 155 for stretch, they used wide rims with the same tyres they were previously running. This is how the stretching theory works.

The idea of stretching is not to put a skinny tyre on a rim, but put a standard (performance) size tyre on a wide rim

Proper stretching:

So you have 15x7's with 195/50's. You would not put on some shitty 185/55's to get 'more stretch', that is stretching just for show and will make the handling of the car actually worse as it will ultimately have less grip (given an identical tyre is used). Instead a 15x8 could be used with the same 195/50 tyres, thus creating the 'stretch' look while maintaining the same level of grip as with the 7' rim. This also has the added benefit of increasing track (given the offset) while keeping the tyres clear from the guards.

Wak Stretching:

Youve got some MA's say, a 14x7. Because you want to look 'heeeps stretched br0' to impress the kiddies, you put a 175/60 tyre on, and thus stretch the tyre a bit. This is just good for looks yes but not for actually driving the car hard. Instead a 185/60 should be used, as being wider it will actually have more grip (again, given identical tyre) equating to faster driving. It may not be quite as stretched but it will perform better. Refer to my tyre size post a few posts up.

This is really my opinion gathered from what i have seen of many japanese 86's and inspecting all the tyre/rim sizes from the trueno bible which contains hundreds of street/hills/skid 86's.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'm trying to get consistancy in tyres I use. Currently I have 2 sets of mags:

15x7.5J [unknown offset, but fit damn well] Simmons 3-piece meshies
    14x7J +8 Toyota MA61 Supra-Celica wheels (skids only, can't fit 14's on the front... brakes are too big...)
    ANDDDDD, kinda considering forking out for a set of Konig B-Bombs when the money comes up, lol. Mmmm, 15x7.5J 0.

Was thinking of running either 195's or 205's on them. Just wanted to know; what profile and width tyres I should be using on them? I want to keep both sets of wheels/tyres the same circumference as stock wheels, or close, and I'd prefer to have the same kind of contact area on the road, ultimately meaning I'll get the same amount of friction/traction. General idea on this thread is 195's, but having said that, might be a bit big on the MA61's. Profiles are what I'm really needing help with though...

Help?
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Hey mate, a 195/50/15 has almost the same rolling diameter as a 185/60/14. The difference is the 195/50 is 12mm smaller. A 205/50/15 makes the difference 9mm so either is fine, depends what will clear the guards i guess but the common trend is towards a 195/50 on 15's and 185/60's on 14's. They are both easily available new and second hand, makes it easier.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Might just get rid of the MA61's and get some sweet sweet B.Bomb action on. Then I'll have 15x7.5's all round and keep the rolling diameter exactly the same with 195/50 love. Yeah?
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like a good idea to me although 8's and over are a better size, 7.5 isn't much difference, at least the offset is good. Given you've got a turbo motor, you'll want the extra grip of the 195's on the rear anyway for skids.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Veteran
    Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

[attachment=24111:CIMG0457_800x600.JPG]

I have got new wheels and I'm kinda stuck with what tires 2 get :

the back pair are 14x7 -+ 0

middle pair are 14x7.5 -8

front pair are 14x8 -+0

what tires should i run if the 14x8 are on the front (needing more grip but decent fitment)

14x7.5 - 8 on rear for daily driving and somtimes sliding

14x7 0 for full time sliding

thanks for ur help :2thumbs:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast