Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey all,

Yeah, I know, "what wheels should I get" threads have been done to death, but just wanted to ask what people would recommend to my particular situation.

Currently have a set of Simmons 2 Piece mags (which I want to get rid of, because frankly I think they're not real great for my situation), with staggered offset I reckon. Eg, you can't put the back ones on the front or they hit the strut tower. Also, when you turn, it actually fouls on a fold protruding from the body in the wheelarch. This is obviously before you hit full lock too. Mind you, I fitted these mags when the steering and everything was stock, and they were great. It's just now that I've done mods that everything has changed.

So, this is what I'm using now on the front. If I haven't mentioned it, it's stock ok?

AJPS Coilovers with 8kg springs
    T3 35mm(?) RCA's
    Cusco Camber Tops
    Genuine power steering knuckles
    Quaife Quickrack
    Custom Brackets suiting 4AGZE flavoured AE101 Calipers
    Whiteline Swaybar

So I guess that means I'm using stock control arms and caster arms (tension rods, whatever the hell you wanna call em), but that's about it.

Because of the brakes, they need to be at least 15" mags on the front. I want to run something like 205/55/R15's on the front for rubber, to suit the back and still give plenty of grip, but I'll drop down to 195's or 185's if needed. Guessing I should go around a 6" wide mag, with maybe 0 to -15 offset? Something like that? I know for best results I should measure it myself, but just wanted to get a starting idea on what I should be around.

Rears can be like 15x7.5 with 225's or something, but they don't turn so it's not so important to figure what offset to get for them, it's just the front I'm worried about. Any help is mucho appreciato.

Oh yeah, kinda looking at getting a new set of Superlite's to suit my app, lol. Know they're common, but meh, they work, and you can get them close to what you want too.

Thanks guys
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

205/195/185 are wayy to big for a 6" wide rim...

I put 205s on my 9" rims and 195/185 are common place for 8"

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Seeing as the stock wheels are 5.5 inches, there is no point in buying 6 inch wide wheels! At a minimum i would go 7 inch wide preferably 8 in a zero or slightly negative offset.

As far as tyres go, 50 is the highest profile i'd consider and 195 the biggest width, although some do prefer to run 205/50s if the car has more power. Best to run the same size tyres all round, gives a more balanced feel.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like someone loves the stretch, lol. Stocko 5.5" wheels run 185's.
    What about 6.5"? 7" would probably be right, just need a 0 offset for maximum lack of hitting crap I guess if you've got a lot of lock. *shrugs*
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

It's really not that much stretch:

And as far as I'm aware, Ueo - the lock king runs 14x7 -0 rims with 185 tyres.
    But then again his front suspension setup is quite diferent to stock.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

15x8 -4 super lights lightened charcol!

do it, ill hook you up too !

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My opinion is run a minimum 7" front, preffereably 8" or 8.5"
    Run a 195 tyre minimum, even on the 7", and if you go the 8.5" go a 205 or 215 if you dont like as much strech.
    Streching the tyre will help in not fouling on your guards, so will lower sidewalls. And will offer alot better turn in as your sidewalls wont flex as much.

For your rears, a 225 on a 7.5 inch rim is going to have a fair bit of sidewall flex.

As a guide to what will suit better, look at this tech article, its pretty spot on, add 10mm to the tyre width if you dont want as much strech.

Also if your going to stagger your rim widths, go an extra half inch on the rear.

I have used a 195 and a 205 on a 7" rim, and now use a 195 on an 8" rim. There extra rim width is a big advantage.

Yes your rear offset is important, to high and your rims will foul on you shocks.

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Woo, thanks for the helpful links n advice guys. Much helpies.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

your running GZE im pretty sure, so you prolly want to get quite wide wheels at the back, to actually get some grip, unless you want to drift ALL the time? as has been said no point goin 6" way to skinny, 195/205 50 would prolly be my tyre choice, depending on what width tyre you choose.

and another thing, GET YOUR CAR ON THE ROAD ALREADY!!!

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal