Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suspension Question

Name
    Charlie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Alright this might be really silly, but this came from my mate whom is a mechanic............I was talking to him about suspension set ups and how i would get a set up before i chucked some rims on my car. He came back saying you should get the rims before the suspension because if i stick with the stock wheels, the stress on the thinner wheel from a stiffer suspension set up could roll the car. I told him hes a dickhead and a sprinters center of gravity is way to low to flip the car totally, and it would only be possible if the car was doing rediculous speeds and a stupid turn was made. but he was adament about his side, so i threw him out of my house and chased him down my street :lol: Is he right or can i tell him hes a dickhead. thanks guys

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

not exactly sure what your on about

but thiner wheel = less grip = more sliding = less flipping

right?

pluss good luck flipping a car at all unless you hit something..

get some decent tread on your tyres and then get suspension, no need to get super wide tyres, as decent "thin" tyres (like 185) will do just a good a job in most cases.

of course the wider the tyre the more grip available, but for instance a crap wide tyre will have less grip than a decent "not so wide" tyre, you know what i mean...
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Charlie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

my mate is trying to say, there will be more pressure on the thinner tyre with a stiffer suspension, giving more chance to roll

i think hes talking about shit he doesnt know much about

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

You will have more chance of rolling your Sprinter with the stock suspension than anything else

Thinner tyres produce different dynamics than larger ones, but I couldn't see the car rolling with improved suspension and stock tyres. Lowered centre of gravity, lower weight transfer from side to side during cornering etc. I don't see the car rolling over with the standard wheels. Besides, theres plenty of people on here that have done that same, and they are fine
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Smaller tires with a relatively high profile have more of a chance of rolling off the rims. I have rolled a 185/60/r14 off a rim when it had severe under steer, Ended up in the ditch.

parrot

Going too wide increases the load on the hubs and stub axle which is not good.

This is the weak point in any suspension setup.

How wide is too wide? No idea.

I personally wouldn't go wider than 7 inch for circuit (road tyres) on a corolla and prefer 6 inch for the road, drifting I have no understanding of. However I can't base this on any evidence.

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

yep, dickhead

Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i concur... he's a dickhead...
    -=Back by popular demand=-

Banned

I agree ^^^ with you there for Group A up to 1600 max overall rim and tyre width permissable was 8" i.e. 7J rims.

Drift/dish/stretch is another thing all together D1 drivers actually use quality semi-race tyres to get grip and make copious amounts of smoke!

Upgrade sus then get wheels and never skimp on rubber - rims may look good, but you need something that keeps them on the road!!!

edit: and get the biggest and best brakes and pads you can afford! No point going fast if you can't pull up just as well!!!!!

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I concur.

Most people don't appreciate the difference good tyres can make to a car until they have actually done it. Once I was able to swap all my tyres for new grippy ones, it made the world of difference to the car's handling.

And at the end of the day, it all comes down to what you are doing with the car. Normal daily stuff, 6" to 7" (as a general guide) is good, possibly larger if you run a torquey/powerful motor and/or want to go drifting. Again, I can't confirm this from any hard evidence, but from what I have been told, and from experience, that tends to sit pretty well.
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast