Thread: wiring question RE: sr20det into 86

Name
    Mike
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey all

i'm at the long drawn out stage of doing the wiring on my sprinter (SR20DET engine) and thought i'd ask some of you for a bit of advice. Now i'm not the best with wiring but then i'm not exactly a noob either. I've researched on the net and a company called PLMS can strip the loom down for me and put in all the relays for about $400, making the whole wiring exercise pretty much plug and play. The other option i was thinking about was getting the fuse/relay box out of a sil/180 and working it out myself.

My qustion is

A) should i play it safe by not wasting any more money and just fork out for a proper job [n.b. i'm a student ie poooooor]

B ) Is it easy enough to just use a sil/180 fuse/relay box (not having the relays is the biggest problem for me)

C) if choosing option (A) do you know someone who can do it in Sydney for cheaper than $400.

Thanks for all your help. All useful input welcome

Mike

Bad Email Address

I have to tackle wiring on my car soon.

All you need is the AE86 wiring diagram to figure out what colour wires do what. Basically all you should need will be:
    white- 12v batt
    black/red- 12v ign
    black/orange- 12v ign same as above but just a different circuit, you can use either.
    white/black- earth
    black/white- start signal
    I can't remeber the colour of the charge light but that should get the car running but no water temp, oil pressure, etc.

I have looked at the Nissan side of the but I can't remember any of it. The S13 manual should be pretty easy to find on the net. You don't need the fusebox, just a coulple of relays and crimp conectors from supercheap should be enough.

Name
    Mike
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Cheers Ken.

The problem is that i don't know where to put the relays. Thats why i thought i should just use an SR fuse/relay box and hook that up to the loom then only need to worry about the white plug next to the ECU plug. This is the plug that meets up to the body loom in a sil/180.... i hope

Bad Email Address

Just hide the relays somewhere if you like to be neat or put them anywhere that's convenient.