Thread: Costs for engine installation

Name
    Charlie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thumbs down

Hey there, I have had my sprinter for about a 2 months now and have decided to upgrade the engine and driveline....

I am importing a jdm bigport, transmission, jdm rear end, and I was wondering how much it would cost to install?? mounts and lines are included, but just incase if some where broken what would the extra costs i would incur with lines and mounts etc. Im tossing up weather to do it myself or not but i would prefer a professional or someone with a decent idea on how to do it. I dont wanna do it half way and realised i have stuffed something up!

Can anyone give me a estimate or any quotes??? Thanks, Hayden

Oldschool Member

What have you currently got in it? Im assuming a 4AC.
    just out of interest are you actually importing the motor from japan and if so vaguely how much is it all setting you back?
    A possible alternative to importing the motor is to have a look at a smallport 100KW from a AE93 rolla or even a bigport 86KW from an ae82 rolla. You should really look into these cos i would think that importing the motor is going to cost you heaps!!
    Also not sure if you really need to import a gearbox? I'm sure some of the other guys will be able to tell you definitely but the current T50 should be fine. I mean even if you have to import a bellhousing or make a custom one surely that will be cheaper than getting a whole box in!!
    The diff is definitely a good buy though!! You really can't go wrong with that Just be aware though that you may need to make a custom tailshaft!
    hope that helps
    Cerby

Name
    Charlie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yea im converting it from a 4ac, my car only has 116,000 on it and everything is in working order, and nothing is thrashed. I thought about initally buying stuff from over here, but its actually a half cut out of a levin, with only 60,000 on it. I got the importer down to chuck the shipping in for free so, i am getting a good deal, I originally wanted a gze, but im getting the whole deal, rear end, tailshaft, gearbox, etc., so one i dont have to worry about sourcing parts, and I am getting the package for a couple of thousand cheaper than I would over here. But besides that, i just need someone to put it in!!!!!

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

so you're looking to get an idea of how much it will cost for someone to install a complete drivetrain upgrade right?
    you should be able to do most of it yourself with a jack and a few spanners, even getting the engine in. from there you'll just have to get it wired up and maybe have someone sort out the fuel setup for you.
    i paid about 1k all up to get the engine running once i put it in, but i reckon i got ripped.

Name
    Charlie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yea i think i can deal with the engine n stuff like that, my mates old man is a mechanic and has a hoist all the tools, but sorting out the ecu and stuff is going to be the trick! I need it done quick becasuse it being my daily, it needs to get on the road asap

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

from what i can tell, if you have a jdm loom it should plug up quite nicely without having to butcher anything.
    ie. unplug a section of your adm loom at a time and replace with jdm which should plug straight in.
    your biggest problem will probably be finding somewhere to mount the ecu lol.

Bad Email Address

You have to provide power to the jap loom and sort out the charging side. It's very simple compared to converting fwd loom to run in rwd cars.

Name
    Charlie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yea i have a auto electrician down the road from my work, just got to sort the problem of getting the car from my house to there lol, but that seems like the biggest hurdle for the conversion

if its literally down the road, just get some tough rope between u and ur mates car lol

EDIT: oops maybe not dint realise u sed down the road from your work

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If you have a friend with a fourby: A car trailer, WITH a motorised winch, will only cost ~$60 for 4 hours. Can be hired at most non-super-busy servos

4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast