Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spring Rates

Bad Email Address

KG=Kilogram/mm or something..someone will correct me!
    also i want oversteer (i want it to be setup for drift/street), just not understeer (i already have heaps of that!ha)

Yeah i couldn't find it either hay, what size rear swaybar are you using?24mm a good size you reckon?i take it your car is setup for drift?

also define 'dumped' how long are you talking here, i want somewhere around in line with the tyre with 195/55/R15.

Keep it all coming fellas...

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

by this do you mean "droop" ? (heard that term somewhere)

so how far the wheels drop down when you jack the car up?

if so, what is considered "enough" at the moment my coilovers/wheels probly drop down about 5 cm after i jack the car up, is this considered enough?

this is at the front, the back problable drops down close to 10cm or so

sorry for offtopic, its kinda related though...
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

thats ok, bit more knowledge never hurts on forums..thats how we learn (if some is true, ha.)

So. Who knows good swaybar sizes for drift setup?and is that too low?is there a level at which it makes things worse?

Dan.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

standard is 14 or 13mm cant remember, whiteline is 18mm, which is sweet, although i think cusco do a 19mm.

24mm on the rear is massive, thats what the whiteline front one is.

That ride height sounds sweet. Just make sure you use short stroke shocks and it should be fine.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Bad Email Address

Dave, yeah, droop/rebound stroke. Ideally you want 4 tires on the ground at all times with the spring pushing the tyre into the ground. Not much point having

I punched in rough measurements off my car and disregarding roll stiffness added by swaybar, an 8/6.5 combo gets me a roll gradient of 1.76deg./g which about as hard as you want to go according to race car vehicle dynamics. Ends up with a front roll rate of 51000lb.-ft/rad and 20000lb.-ft/rad. It probably doesn't mean much to a lot of people but I like it the way it is.

If you want the car to be oversteery, fit the 18mm sway bar on the rear and leave the front one stock and get your usual 7/5 or 8/6 spring combo.

Name
    Harry
    State
    VICTORIA
    Country
    Australia

13 or 14mm rear depending on model

i dont consider the 24 mm front sway bar to be massive in fact im seriously considering getting the 27mm its all to do with how much force is acting on ur tyres ie: grip level use shit tyres soft suspension will do use semi slicks and the suspension rates need to be raised dramaticly
    do short stroke shocks change suspension behavior other than keeping the springs captive ?? i think not

KYB excell g shocks are a standard replacement shock and using shocks from other cars is not a good practice as there are not setup correctly for the vehicle weight, spring rates and unsprung weight

stiff spring rates feel very compliant and comfortable when using a high quality correctly setup shock like bilstein or similar

my personal setup for street car with good over steer is 6kg f+r with the whiteline sway bars on full stiffness front and 2nd stiffest rear and bilstein shocks all round and good tyres for the front is a must anything older than 12 months old is not a good tyre

oh and add some camber strut tops and wind the castor rods right foward and get a wheel alignment

cant wait for some of the replys now...

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Heres my reply, haha nah, interesting dude,

With regards to the 24mm swaybar, i was reffering to it being used on the REAR which would be far to large. as far as the 24mm FRONT being to small, what springs are you using with that size?

Definately, softer compund/more grip tyres allow for a stiffer set up.

I believe short stroke shocks do change the suspension behaiviour as when on a lowered car they are kept within their working range, i.e arent 60% loaded when stationary so that the rebound is way to quick when a bump is hit etc.

Yes the KYB excel g is a standard replacement shock, as it is from a heavier car all the factors you have described have been considered, eg. They wouldn't just uprate the stiffness to suit the heavier car in question, they also up the rebound stiffness to compensate. the length of the shock would also be adjusted to suit the shorter travel springs on said heavier car.

Yes stiff springs do feel very compliant when used with a correctly setup shock, i have been in a t 18 with 6kg rears and super short KYB excel g sierra's which rode almost as smooth as stock, seriously. On the subject of Bilstiens, yes they are a very very good performance shock however they also make OE shocks, as does KYB.

6kg springs front and rear would be overkill, i think a nicer combo to drive with would be 6 and 5 with a rear swaybar to make it oversteery.

RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Will
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

aim for between 1/3 droop 2/3 bump and 1/2 1/2.

droop is how far the wheels go down when you jack it up, bump is how far the wheels go up before hitting the bumpstop.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

BUMP

Name
    Will
    State
    VIC