Thread: Pics of my new car & some n00b/general questions.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

On Saturday i picked up this 1985 ADM Sprinter with a 4ac as a run around. But the more i look at it.. the more i want to do! Haha.. so i'll see how it goes. Here it is as it sits now.

P.s. ignore the bonnet damage an panels in primer. All will be fixed in good time.

Here are a couple of pics for the moment. I'm looking for a set of wheels for it and to lower it.

My speedo isn't working and neither is the odometer or the trip computer. The bloke what i purchased the car from gave me a brand new speedo cable. Does anyone know where i can get a copy of a manual or something or maybe someone has a scan of how to change this?

Also im getting a set of worked heads, a custom lumpy cam and twin weber carbs in a couple of weeks. I've heard from some people that the standard 4ac bottom end is terrible. But on the other hand others are saying its ok. Whats the verdict?

one more! There is a very strong smell of fuel in and around my car. I'm guessing it may be the carb running to rich. Again.. does anyone now where/how to adjust it?

Thanks!

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

speedo cable replacement: not sure about the other end but getting to the top end is easy.

5 screws holding the dash front on (2 below the steering column, 1 each side, 3 above the instrument cluster screwed into the top part of the dash), pull the dials and stuff off the light and wiper switches then undo the plastic nuts behind them. dash front should come away now, so unclip the plugs going to lights and wipers etc..

next there should be 4 screws holding the glass in front of the instrument cluster. take that off too.

probably 4 screws holding in the cluster itself. undo these, pull it out a bit and take the 2 big plugs out of the back, then remove the cluster.

the end of the speedo cable is behind where the speedo sits. just unclip it and you should have enough access to replace it from there.

hope that was helpful. i probably made it sound complicated, but it's really simple.
    obviously putting it all back together is the reverse of pulling it apart.

i'll have a look at the other end of the cable when the sun comes up if i get time, as my speedo isn't working either atm, and i'll check to see if an ae82 cable is a straight swap.

good luck.

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

cables aren't a straight swap, as the ae82 cable looks to be way too short.

i tried all sorts of mucking around with the speedo plug and the cluster to no avail, then finally got it into my mind to check the connections at the gearbox end.
    for some reason one of the fittings down there was fingertight and the other was undone completely. <_<

sorted that out and now the speedo works but it still clicks cos i bent the pin in the end somehow. new speedo cable ftw when i get the chance.

also ftw are jackstands. i got my car up to 130km/h in my driveway XD. was doing around 6k in 3rd at the time.

again, good luck.

Bad Email Address

how much did you pay for her??

dope ride..

enjoy

That is the most stupid thing i've ever heard anyone doing!!!

Oldschool Member

^^ agree lol

Nice car Medwin!

Bad Email Address

Just to add on to the speedo cable directions - Not sure if you realised but you have to unscrew the other end of the cable from underneath the car first. It screws in just next to the gear box, it's very accessible once you're under there.

Once thats done, take the dash off and so forth , but then you need to then remove the gromit from the fire wall by accessing that from underneath your dash.

The cable should just pull through from the top.

Name
    Richard
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

spotted at southland car park near harris scarfe on sunday, u live around that area???, did u see a gold one wen u left???

PROTEK TYRE AND AUTO
    SQ ENGINEERING
    NCCE

DRFTR86 & FATKE.....DOSEING COROLLAS SINCE 2009