Rofl. :lol:

I think I did a pretty tidy job.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I might of mentioned thi sbefore but for my new engine I am building I am looking to have level throttles and then have each of the intake pipes curve firstly forward about 30 degrees and then 90 degrees down to a low mount airbox. If I do do that I will have a rubber section for vibration insulation and also for length tuning.
    30kw club

Name
    underwood
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

hey sam does a similar theory apply to the exhaust manifold as in length of runners to the colector

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

massively,

I personally believe that all 4-2-1 off the shelf pipes with the exception of toda "race look" don't make much use of it compared to what they could and 4-1 pipes are just about all too short for ideal use aswell. I am planning some extractors that have 4 primary pipes 750mm long with some curved F1 style merge colectors into a flange for an inter-changable secondary set of pipes. I have a theory on secondary pipe length but I can't prove it so I am going to try and make about 5 different sets and then do some testing. It will take time and of course I will let people know the results. However I have a hunch that I need a 250mm secondary set of pipes.

heres some more information:

and this is a calculator however you need your cam timing specs for it to work.

30kw club

Name
    underwood
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

what about turbo aplications is it the same sort of deal or a little different

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

well acording to hpi or zoom (can't remember which) and they said longer manifold pipes makes for more top end but more lag. I however have no idea at all how this is possible, as far as i know with boost harmonic resonance goes out the window and just isnt a relevant factor anymore.
    30kw club

Name
    alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

my understanding of this was that it is more concerned with having the pulses arrive at the compressor without interfering with each other,

ie in a firing sequence 4,2,3,1 that is the order they will hit the impeller in. This usually results in more lag but a supposed boost in a tuned frequencey *a very narrow band where the efficiency is imroved. The lag is a result of the "primaries" needing to be long enough in a squiggle to match each other.

standard tube manifolds come on much faster, usually as they have MUCH shorter primaries.

from what i have read this is not a "longer path" problem as such, more to do with a combination of the loss of thermal strength due to the extra distance, but also the materials of the exhaust. The log manifolds are usually steam piping or forged iron and m"insulate" the exhaust pulses better so they retain more thermal energy. The aftermarket tuned legth manifolds are uaually stainless steel and quite thin, they lose heat really well!

that all being said, zoom have maintianed several times that they have NEVER seen and improvement anywhere on a engine fitted with tuned length manifolds ( this is from memory so i could be mistaken). Autobling however found substantial midrange improvemnets on a forrester fitted with xforce tuned length manifold.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah well I will stay away from this argument as I am not that familiar with it and i know most of the theory I know goes straight out the window when the old snail is involved.

That said though it looks like the 6boost manifold design is ideal for making boost at the lowest revs and the highest power. But this is another topic all together.
    30kw club

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast