Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Intake tuning for your quads

gunbz-r

"Autobling however found substantial midrange improvemnets on a forrester fitted with xforce tuned length manifold." impossible. I have worked on and built, the fastest subis in the land, and x force extractors will loose midrange. And only give up to approx 5kw in the top end, the only time i have seen then work through the entire rev range is with group a style heads and over 300hp atw. No offence to any one, but autobling is wrong.

I don't know about the resonance and shit but in the real world x force extractors are a waste of $1500

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

no exhaust resonance makes a difference with boost, having equal length pipes is meant to do something but even that is up for debate.

$1500 is a shitload of cash!!
    30kw club

gunbz-r

then labour lol.

Ru-iki

Thought this may be of interest/worth discussing. When I had my car tuned on monday with my new silvertop engin, running Blacktop quads, flywheel, alternator, waterpump, pulley arrangement and Adaptronic with Cop coils, the tuner wanted to see how bad the factory Blacktop velocity stacks were, so he had me remove them and do a run with no filters, he charted the 2 results.

You can see when the air is moving slow its rich and once the velocities are up its lean at the top end. It has a large HP deficit in the mid range rpm and almost 3 more at top. The stated figure is for filters on. Food for thought.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

that reminds me I got some hard figures now for people running socks, one person I know tried a dyno run with and without socks and without them he gained 7.5kw. From another source I have heard 7kw, both at the wheels...

Also he found he lost 11kw at the wheels by not having any trumpets at all and just an air box.
    30kw club

Ru-iki

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Apr 2 2008, 12:17 PM) </div>As you can see with mine I lost 2.5KW with socks, trumpets and filters on, but had a stronger midrange although a fair amount of this loss in the mid could be tuned out as it varied the Air fuel ratio significantly. I discussed airboxes with Mr Novak and he wasnt a fan unless its boosted. He also insisted that I get a set of stacks with a taper and pronounced Bellmouth, and actually made mention of the same principle I was talking about where the air is attracted from around the base of the stack. I asked for the ideal taper angle and he said 7-10 degrees.

Personally I like a strong midrange so if I o get stacks they will be quite long, although ultimately the best you could get would be some with an infinitely variable length which shorten with rpm increase.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

No trumpets at all could give a marked change, but simply changing the lengths? I don't doubt that it redistributes the power along the curve, in fact I have had some experience with velocity stacks on road bikes.
    I think however that the effect of the trumpet lengths is far greater when the engine is at a very high state of tune, Ie. 12.1 comp, 300 deg high lift cams etc. When you compare the R6 (that's the bike with which I have the greatest experience) with its 600cc engine at 120 flywheel hp, it's obviously at a far higher state of tune than say a 4age making 120 hp and therefore the effect of the stacks, is probably greater.
    Also, the higher an engine revs, the more marked the effect of the trumpet length. The R6 revved to over 15,000. Most 4age's are lucky to crack 7500. Half the revs, vast difference in air velocity.

Another thing we experimented with was using shorter stacks on 2 cylinders and longer on the other 2. This spreads the power even moreso, but, the bike weighed 170kg, a light car is closer to 1000kg. Most of these minute changes are absorbed by the inertia of the chassis.

Dyno charts comparing trumpets of different lengths would be wonderful.

Name
    alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Mar 15 2008, 07:01 AM) </div>happy to dig up the dyno results. not disagreeing, but they can present the facts that back their argument.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

what the hell is wrong with an air-box? I personally think nothing is better, well that is unless the main reason for the install was for the sound..
    30kw club

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10