Thread: Cams selection

Name
    John
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Default Cams selection

Hi guys...im going to put AE101 quads on my small port. with mild mods....what cams should i get? im thinking IN 272 EX264....i don't want lumpy idle....any suggestions thanks

Name
    dan
    State
    adelaide
    Country
    australia

where do you want your power to be?

Name
    Adam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Knowing when you'd like max power will help in deciding what cam duration is best. Lower duration, max power in lower part of rev range, vice versa.

A lot of people ask for maximum duration you can run on a standard ecu and most say it's at about 272 degrees, but with the standard ecu you don't rev it hard enough to reach the cam's full capacity. Keeping the standard rev limit and getting cams which suit it best would be around the 256 or 264 degrees max in my opinion.

And with your unequal durations, from the research I've done I would personally go the longer duration on the exhaust side with your mods. Shorter duration on the intake, but with larger lift. Having the quad throttle bodies on the intake side, there won't be much restrictions compared to the exhaust and having a longer duration on the exhaust side will help rid the gases more efficiently (more time for gases to escape after combustion). *I don't know if that's right, I might've interpreted the information wrong.*

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

After you buy cams, you still have a lot of choice in setup. As in the lobe center adjustment. This also effects the peak power vs lower torque and idle quality. So if you did buy some hot cams, and found your setup gave a lumpy idle, I think you could tune this out with adjustable cam gears. Lobe centers at about 110/110 should have a more factoy like idle. At 100/100 you are tuning more for top end max power, and you may have to bump the idle up. And you may have to change the ECU map on each setting, at least check your air/fuel ratios.

Name
    John
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

oooh...thanks for all your info guys, i've got adj cam gears and also E-manage waiting to be installed...