Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ah the good ol' heal toe..

pretty sure this is the most seen scene in initial D :lol:

i find the heal toe pretty usefull, one thing, that i dont think has been mentioned.

is that i find it allows me to keep hands on the steering wheel more when driving relatively briskly...

for instance, come up to a corner in 3rd, need to change to 2nd, but revs are too low,

clutch in....
    brake and accelerator...both go down in proper proportions
    now revs are up, can change to 2nd
    both hands back on wheel to drive through corner, in 2nd at usable revs

with this theres no waiting for revs to build up, before braking (ie. matching revs with pressing accelerator no braking)

and i guess you can drive a little faster, as you can brake later, and still get revs up for next gear
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

y would u bother welding ...

just get a set of rice pedals throw them in, will fix the gap thats what i've always done, ebay under $20

i learnt heel n toe by accident on may way to work there is a down hill bit corner than a steep up hill and u need as much speed as possibly to get up and when it rains water pools mid corner (bottom of bulli pass)

one day i threw 4th back 3rd compression lock + rear wheel aqua plane and only just missed a cement wall from that day i always gave the throttle a kick. i only had my p's for 3 weeks

my style has changed as well as most do i've gone from a sloppy as hell double clutch quick tap as fast i could, to just given it a nice half sec of throttle, nice and smooth

'Red_Hachi_Box'

After reading the majority of useful posts made in this thread, really what ive come to understand is heel'n'toe can be used to keep your revs high instead of losing them while changing gears or braking.. This would have been a technique designed idealy for racing/cornering? I cant see it beeing useful for drifting although, someone prove me wrong?

For those that want to try and close the gap between your pedals, try your Automotive stores (autobahn, super cheap auto?).. There are plenty of covers that will bolt on and increase your pedal size, may even make them look purtee

I can see changing gears without the clutch beeing a bit messy, might leave that one a while :lol:

Thanks Sam Q, Dillon

Oldschool Member

dude have u ever tryed braking hard and gearing down by simply releasing the clutch as fast as when you heal toe??? heal toe is clutch in, change gear(and match the revs with the heal of course), clutch out and no wasting time easing it out, which remindes me of another reason that hasnt been mentioned, its less stress on your clutch.

i started doing heal toe when ever i felt safe to do it as in not in traffic and when i had plenty of time to brake before i had to stop at the stop sign etc and progressed from there, now i do it all the time becaus it makes sence and thats how i drive and about a year ago had to get used to not doing it when i drive certain cars caus the pedels are spaced too far (eg. 2004 landcruiser) and stuff like that but yeah still gearing down. also do other people use the ball of the foot or the actual toe (or that area if your wearing shoes) caus i would never use my actual toes as the expression goes for obvious i would think reasons unless people think otherwise.

I'm size 12 and pedal spacing is nice for me but i havent driven an ae71 so i cant compare.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Heel toe is manly used for circuit racing, the idea is to match your revs with the motor while changing down gears so you dont lose revs between gear changes, you know you have done a perfect heel toe when you release the clutch and your engine revs dont change, for example you come in to a corner heel toe rev the motor to about 7000rpm release the clutch and the tacho [if you have one] should read the same if not a little bit more but you can tell by just listening to what the motors doing, you know when you have done it because it sounds and feels perfect.

Name
    matt
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Sam_Q your a absolute ledgend, and i mean that. :2thumbs:

did my first proper heel-toe 2night, was awesome.

relating to above post, i think i did that 2night, about like 10mins ago was an awsome feeling, 3rd to second, clutch in, dabbed the gas as i pushed the stick to second, released the clutch, no jerking and revs stayed the same... :blush: so smooth.

i think i now know what you were talking about with matching the revs, keeping it in its power range, sort of like flat changing equivalent, but for when changing down.

i also had ago at that, half your foot on the gas, and half on the brake, felt really weird, and i didnt like it much because my shoes (asics) were griping to the pedals, so i had trouble sliding my foot over to the gas once i wanted just gas... i think im going to stick to the heel-toe one, liked it much much more.

does anyone else have problems with there steering wheel getting in the way of there knees/legs?

ps. i didnt do this speeding at all, and wasnt around traffic...

once again, thanks alot mate.

cheers, issa.
    1982 KE70 - Red - Meshies - Madhouse Lip - Lowered - Custom plates (KE70) - and much more to come !!!!

Oldschool Member

thats cool yeah i know wat u mean about the steering wheel getting in the way it helps with a smaller aftermarket wheel but all cars are different i find i can heel toe my parents exel at the position the seat is at without shoes although its a little cramped, but with boots i cant, i'd have to move the seat back to a point where i couldnt change gears without throwing my shoulders into it and my arms would be outstretched on the steering wheel. Keep practicing theres nothing dangerous about heal toe changing just learning it in the begining it'll become natural with practice and time.

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Roy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

My 86 came with a takumi pedal when I bought it, excellente for heal and toe. (Takumi pedal is probably about 12-20mm longer).

When I heal toe most of the time it's the side of my foot near the arch that actually hits the pedal. I use heal and toe even while daily driving, just my driving style.

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I bent my last pedal by hand, worked good

Name
    matt
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

with bending pedals, and/or adding after market pedals, how do you know that your still being able to press down 100% of the way on the throttle, brakes, and clutch?

its something ive always thought about as well, i drive an ae93sx bigport (looking for a ae86 to buy) and its got all normal pedals except for the gas, its a cheap aftermarket one i bought the car with, and the throttle has a small amount of travel, so its pretty sensitive comapred to other cars, but im curious to find out how can you tell that its opening the throttle body the whole way.

btw this is no means of hijacking, just while were on the topic of pedals.

cheers, issa.
    1982 KE70 - Red - Meshies - Madhouse Lip - Lowered - Custom plates (KE70) - and much more to come !!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast