Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: how to heel and toe better

Bad Email Address

Hey Phat_man

get a friend to see if the cable is rotating the actuator all way around while you hold down the pedel

Name
    matt
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wanabe_Garage @ Oct 28 2007, 04:06 PM) </div>thanks for that, forgot about that :blink:

what about the clutch and the brake?

*edit* lol, sorry that sounds stupid, i guess the brakes would be fine, just test them if they stop the car or not, but with the clutch, how would you tell? just go for a drive and ride the clutch(kick it all the way in, and ride it like that) to see if you can smell the clutch cooking?
    1982 KE70 - Red - Meshies - Madhouse Lip - Lowered - Custom plates (KE70) - and much more to come !!!!

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i only use heel toe to make a smoother change down in gears, or just blip the throttle when down shifting (no braking)

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

phat man: good to hear it worked out for you, keep practicing and it will become second nature. Trust me on this one.
    30kw club

Name
    matt
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Oct 29 2007, 05:10 PM) </div>thanks man, will do.

makes driving that little extra bit more enjoyable
    1982 KE70 - Red - Meshies - Madhouse Lip - Lowered - Custom plates (KE70) - and much more to come !!!!

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Good article (as usual ) Sam, and good discussion.

Heel and toe can be quite important while driving. I use it mainly to drive nice and smooth on downchanges, but when it gets hektik it certainly aids to keep good corner speed and preventing loss of traction (although compression lock can be fun )

Its all about timing, you can time it right and get a good result: On the brake, clutch in to change gears, change gears, blip the throttle enough to match the revs, off the clutch. Thats the idea anyway. Get the timing wrong, and it ends up either being too higher revs (which sounds like crap and feels bad as the engine rapidly has to decelerate), or not enough revs, which ends up having the same effect as not heel-toeing at all. After that, you can work on getting the same result with as little throttle percentage as possible (less fuel consumption).

If you watch professional drivers (such as V8 Supercar Drivers) they generally have the pedals pretty close together so that they can hit up the throttle in as little time as possible, to keep the 'flow' of the lap going. I'm still experimenting with heel-toeing for drifting, I'm sure there's plenty of people with more experience than me that doing it. I'm guessing you can control the momentum of the car, and the grip at the front by grabbing the brake at the same time as the throttle.

Experiment with it while you drive, take it easy at first as you can't get in too much trouble while doing it.
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Name
    Dusan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

another good way to put it is compression lock, if you're taking a corner hard and have an LSD, especially a 2 way, you need to match the revs of the gear you're downshifting into mid turn, otherwise the engine will slow the wheels down too much and break traction, when you least want it. I was at the track my first time, and my second lap was taking a corner, didn't heel toe down to second, it just spun me right around.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yes I forgot to mention about that:

if you have 2 way LSD and you just down change harshly around a corner you will have a very harsh suprise indeed.
    30kw club

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hey does compression lock on a car with a 2 way effect the diff or the axle?

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

i bent my gas peddle out ward so it almost lines up with the other peddles

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast