Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: how to heel and toe better

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

during my normal driving today I thought how it would be if I had my peddle more outwards and I dont think it would help me, right now to apply some hard braking and hit the throttle at the same time my foot is level and that is perfect for me.

However everyone is different and has different styles. I would imagine the tequnique for a tall person is very different due to an 86's limited room.
    30kw club

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

For those with larger feet, actually heel and toeing can be bad, with the 86 pedals you can easily angle your foot slightly and pick up the throttle with the side of your foot, or the top right corner of the shoe. How easy you can do it depends on how close to the wheel you are (and if your legs foul on the steering wheel). Practice with he car parked is advised on those situations You also need to be careful of the brake pressure you can add by moving your foot to grab the throttle. Sometimes you can grab the brake a little more when you go to blip the throttle, and come off it by the same amount when you return to normal foot position. Its OK on the street (feels weird in the car though), but on the racetrack when you are running at the limit, it can be the difference between entering and exiting the corner smoothly, to having a locked brake, loosing time and rhythm in the process.

Its amazing how conscious you become while heel-toeing when you actually start thinking about it, despite doing it since when I started driving. Something else I've been doing, is knocking the car out of gear while decelerating, to spend less time on the clutch to pop it back in gear (its my daily, I don't want to break my box just yet )

Compression lock is a funny thing, it shakes the whole car, so rear diff, axles, mounts, bushes, suspension components, chassis, drive shaft, gearbox, clutch and engine all cop a bit of a shock when you do it, especially on a dry surface with grippy tyres. Doesn't stop me from doing it to improve the angle of the car when I turn in to work of a morning. I have an open diff, so its controllable at slower speeds. 2-ways would be a lot more interesting...
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Name
    matt
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

been practising, been getting them right on pretty much about 60%of the time, but i just got back from driving, i was wearing thongs, i take them off when i drive, so i was doing it barefoot, did it perfectly about 98% of the time. feels so good not feeling giving it second.
    1982 KE70 - Red - Meshies - Madhouse Lip - Lowered - Custom plates (KE70) - and much more to come !!!!

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

just a heads up on the comp lock with a 2 way

it can be a nasty situation

mine was accidental, entering a roundabout, heel toe down change to second and my foot slipped off the throttle so it didn't blip the throttle at all hence the comp lock. car stepped out, my brain was still in the mindset of having to blip the throttle so my foot jumped back on the gas.

i shit myself

car next to me shit myself as i looked through my windscreen in to his passenger window

car behind me though it was great

so comp lock + 2 way = bad

unless you are ready for it and then it can be fun..

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i learnt to heal and toe from rock crawling in my 4by, my keto is a piece of piss in comparison, only use it on down changes to keep the revs up so when it comes time to tap the clutch to get it out i dont have to rev it up and pop the clutch. I took my stock rubber pedal covers off and put skate board grip tape over the metal plates for more grip. I dont have very big feet (10.5) so i dont know why you guys are having any problems.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

does it really kick out that much? shit. I've tried to do it once or twice but not fast tho, just to see what its like, maybe i didnt have enough rpm

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

^^^ yer man even my open wheeler kicks out

i was driving through the mountains the other night and came into a corner a little to fast, car slightly understeered, so i compression locked it around the corner.

worked well! completely got rid of the understeer, just a slight amount of countersteering to keep it straight, and on my merry way!

i find the heal and toe is usefull for just making driving smooth, can change to whatever gear i want (within reason) and so long as you match the revs the car stays relatively smooth. of course the engine is revving its guts out, but the passengers are comfortable

also heres something else

if you heal and toe perfectly, you can change gears without using the clutch at all, and matching the revs also saves on synchros in your gearbox.

a variation on the "heal-toe" goes like this

in 3rd driving along
    change to neutral
    rev up the engine (with gbox still in neutral)
    at this point if you have matched the revs perfectly it should go into 2nd gear perfectly with no clutch at all

you will know you have done it perfectly, as the gears wont grind and also the shift into 2nd is incredibly smooth, like its extremely noticeable.

i have done this quite a few times, but its a bit of a stuff around, and im not sure how much gain you get, its fun trying though

ive been told that the reason this happends, is when you rev the gearbox in neutral, (clutch engaged, so your foot is off it) the gearbox input shaft and lay shaft are at the same speed, so when it comes time to change the gears, the gears are going at exact same speed already, and you just have to mesh them together.

i dunno if that explanation is correct, but its something like that.

this post is way to long!
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

this web site is great for understanding this sort of stuff I use it heaps

Name
    Jason
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Oct 30 2007, 05:57 PM) </div>LOL how else would u have done it?
    I heel and toed as soon as i got my p's as well, its all about making sure ur passengers are comfortable. Driving an all time 4wd is slightly more difficult in making it smooth (i drive a forester) compared to an open diff car.

Name
    Will
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

FFS guys, its "pedal" not "peddle"!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast