Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: how to heel and toe better

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I thought I would post this because I am sure its not common knowledge.

A local sprinter has an accelerator peddle that is about 10 to 15mm further away from the brake peddle than an ae71. For drift or street driving I recommend to people with roughly size 10 feet or smaller (I have a size 8) to change to this peddle on their 86.

Heres a rough guide how you can tell if it will help you depending on your style: Put your foot vertical over the last third of the brake and it f you twist your foot and still hit the peddle then you probably wont need it. Come to think of it I will take a photo.

When I mastered the "hell and toe" in my ae71 and then went to my sprinter I kept on missing the peddle, but after I swapped it I was back to my old tricks in no-time. It fits straight in but is a total bitch to get in there, you have been warned!

short and simple
    30kw club

Name
    matt
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

good topic, ive been thinking about this alot lately, and i couldnt figure it out.

i know that you can heel and toe, when you wana slow down the front and keep the backing comming out, but ive seen like all the pro drivers hill and toeing when there shifting down and slowing down, i want to ask what is the purpose of doing this?

can someone please shed some light please.

cheers, issa.
    1982 KE70 - Red - Meshies - Madhouse Lip - Lowered - Custom plates (KE70) - and much more to come !!!!

Oldschool Member

The engine acts like a brake.

Heel and toeing is matching revs of the engine and gear ratio to the road speed.
    Thus allowing greater braking capacity.

I think that explains it.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

no, or well not the main reason atleast

for a down change the engine revs would be lower than what it should be, so in other words when the clutch is let out the engine has to speed up and it takes time, you cant get into the gear you want quickly. It is also to not cause any harshness that could lose traction.

One last perk is that on just about every sprinter box you will be able to drive it without a clutch, saved my butt a few times now.

By pulsing the accelerator to line up the speed the clutch can be fully droped with no shutter or hashness at all if its timed right. Practice makes perfect on this one.

heres an example: if you example your heading to a corner at 100 and in third gear you slam on the brakes till you get to 80, then you will need to get into second gear and before the apex too so you can accelerate hard out of it. So while your still on the brakes you use your heel to stab the throttle till the engine revs are to the right revs and then you can dump your clutch. Get it wrong and your car can do a compression enduced oversteer.

I personaly think a tacho is unwanted in doing all this, you just dont have time and its to hard to get right that way.

Hey guys what do you think of this: I am thinking of filming me driving while there is a camera on my feet showing how I do heel and toe driving, would that help anyone?
    30kw club

Oldschool Member

You explanation is alot better than mine :2thumbs:

I drive for a living , so its a heavily used method to decelerate.

Clutchless changes? Which way Up, Down or Both?

edit reason: got a bit off topic

Name
    matt
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

thanks for that mate, much appreciated :2thumbs:

yea post the video up, make it like a commentry one as well, so it stands out from like the 100000000 of others on the net.

like what to do and why you do it at each stage.

thanks alot, issa.
    1982 KE70 - Red - Meshies - Madhouse Lip - Lowered - Custom plates (KE70) - and much more to come !!!!

clutchless is easy changing up.
    but we're talking about hell&&toe so i assume hes talking about down.... wack. haha.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yes if you line up the revs changing up and down gears is not that big a deal for an average sprinter box. I managed to drive 40km without a clutch when I melted my pressure plate in melbourne city.

phat_man: what commentary do I add? how does this sound, don think I have the ability to do it though:

I do I have a gear change and then replay it in slow motion where text appears on the screen saying why I am doing what I am doing.

any good?
    30kw club

Look at my pedals before i yanked them out...

Not for long....

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast