Thread: AE82 GT Engine into standard AE82

Howdy,

I had an engine failure in my stock AE82 yesterday I was running late for work and thus was in a hurry. I was just about to pick up 2nd when No2 con-rod let go at 7500 and then out of simpathy No3 con-rod windowed the block half a secind later.

I just reciently picked up a stock AE82 GT with a neat standard big port engine. The plan was at some stage swap the GT goodies into the stocker as it has a mint body and interior, plus i have also upgraded the brakes to 4 wheel disks and vented front brakes off a AE102. And also upgraded the suspension.

Said engine failure has pushed forward project, 'goodies swap' to a saturday morning comencement. But having never attempted this conversion before, there are several unknown factors that may well become mission critical obsticles.

I know the complete 4A-GE engine/transaxle assembly will happily bolt into the place of the slightly buggered 4A-C. But will the GT engine loom and computer be happy to do the same? Also I would have liked to install the GT instrument cluster into the stocker, will this require a body/dash loom swap?

Any information/advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Justin.

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

just get started on it asap if you have a complete parts car. things can go wrong, but you have the parts and hopefully common sense to overcome.

riojin

might be the wrong forums for this kind of thing mate. this place is more for RWD corollas.

it sounds to me itll just be a straight bolt in job and everything you can get running gear wise will need to be taken from the GT. you will have to also take the tank and fuel lines from the GT. to answer your question about the engine loom i cant see why it would not just bolt straight in, and about the instrument cluster i would take the instrument loom out of the GT.

but then again i wouldn't have much of a clue because im not into or have much knowledge on FWD rollas

it sounds like a big job and if i were you id just buy a clean 4AGE AE82. theyre not that expensive

parrot

I put a Jap 4AG front cut swap into my wifes 4AC AE82 after she cooked the engine. It was simple, even used the 4AC exhaust and went like the clappers with 13 inch wheels, great gearing.

The only problem I had was in retaining the ADM 4AC gearbox. There was some slight variation in the front driveshafts which screwed me around. From memory I ended up swapping over the driveshaft hats inboard to allow them to fit. Can't remember which ones I used though. Was a long time ago.

The loom in the front cut was chopped at the cluster and I had a few headaches sorting that out but got there eventually. Twin cam wiring diagrams are pretty hard to locate, especially for Jap market.

Presumably if you have an ADM source, that will not be a problem. And make sure you update to the twin cam 4 wheel discs, they really made a difference.

Thanks guys,

I'm just going to hook in first thing sat morning, my boss has given me the day off and access to one of his hoists so it should be a relatively quick swap. Once the major mechanical work is done, i think i'll sit down, smoke a fatty, then nut out the electrics for the rest of the afternoon. Fingers crossed I'll have a runner by 5pm.

Update on monday, :2thumbs:

Cheers for the info.

Many thanks,
    Justin.

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

pm sent!