Thread: Jdm ae86 exhaust manifold

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hi all this is a question for all who have delt with standard ae86 exhaust manifolds.

I currently have one on mine that leaks a fair amount, so much so that i really want to keep my windows down all the time.
    My basic question is that where to they normally leak from (im almost certain its from the connection around where the starter/heat sheild is), and is it worth fixing if its doing this.

I also have a bung cat so at the same time i plan to replace the cat with a r33 item.

I find myself faced with several directions i can go

1. Get a good quality set of extractors (probly around $500, would prefer cheaper but you pay for what u get)
    For this purpose i basically get ones that are stainless instead of mild steel and they dont actually stop right next to the firewall/starter.
    I was considering something like this

Those are 38,600 yen so around $386, would anyone have any idea how much postage would be? i would assume id be paying $500-600 before they were here.

2. Get a set of the crap trd copy extractors (i have em on the 71, dont really like em at all) for as cheap as possible. Most likely modify them to extend an extra couple of inches so they arent right next to where the aus slave is (i have been told this improves them a large amount)

3. Modify the current manifold. My assumption would be i would have to bin the second half of the rwd manifold and get exhaust made up to mate up with the first part of the manifold which comes out of the engine. The only reason im not so keen on doing this is itll most likely cost me just as much as the second choice and theres more chance that it will still leak.

Anyway sorry, its another one of my essay style tech questions but if anyone has been in this situation and has regrets and/or tips that they wanna share it would be very helpful.

Cheers all

Grant
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/731/43367425735d6c87ce7bo.jpg

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

go for the shiniest option. shiny things rock!

Name
    Will
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I replace the ring gaskets on my manifold a few times a year, part number is JE015 for the ACL ones.

cheap easy job to do, i do it cause the exhaust gets (more) noisy.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

ajps is starting to make good headers.....maybe be an option,

id go for a new set of any extractors over fixing the standard ones. the performance you would get would be worth it

i recently fixed a leak on my daily. i removed the manifold, put new gaskets on there and used some ultra copper to seal them. worked a treat. cost bout 25 and half hour all up

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yer im leaning towards the binning of the current manifold, apparently pat (previous owner) tryed as much as he could to make sure it wouldn't leak when he installed it but it still does. This brings me to think i wont have much luck without some decent work on the manifold.

If anyone has any used extractors similar to the ones in the pic (ie just stainless and extended etc) that they want to sell id be dead keen.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. If anyone has any more light they can shed it would still be helpful.
    Cheers

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/731/43367425735d6c87ce7bo.jpg

parrot

I agree with the gasket answers.

Perhaps it is the secondaries flange that is the cause of your problems rather than the cast manifold.

Unless there is a visible crack, I doubt the cast manifold is the issue.

The manifold nut nearest the engine can be a bit of a prick to tighten correctly too. Are the threads on the stud buggered and stopping you from tightening things correctly?

Just some thoughts.