Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: d2 coilovers??

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

You guys are seriously pathetic. Not only are you banding together like a little gang of merry retards, you've both probably never driven on a car with the coilovers I am using at current. When the japanese started making cars they were known as crap. In Europe and USA people regarded japanese made stuff as being crap. The Chinese make I'm willing to bet 80% of every single thing you own. They also have one of the largest and quickest growing economies in the world. I realise they do make absolute shit, but some of the stuff they make is also actually very good. Take for instance (in my profession), the new Olympus E-3 pro- Digital SLR. It's made in China. Despite this, it is beautifully solid and well made and pretty much the only digital SLR that is completely water resistant.

I made a direct comparison to previous systems I have owned including the much revered tokico HTS (yes they're excellent) and KYB AGX (personally didn't like). My car handles well with my choice (for now) of suspension which is the K sport coilovers. So far I've had no problems with them at all. If one of the shocks blow or something breaks I'll be the first person to come on here an bitch about them, but basically none of you have conclusive first hand evidence that they do break prematurely or that they are dangerous. I don't claim to be the best hills driver/touge driver/drifter even in my little area, I can think of at least 3 guys in my immediate friends that are better drivers than I, and thats out of the 150 000 or whatever that live on the sunshine coast. What I am saying though, is that having the $2000 set of teins in your car will not make you drift/drive/get laid better/faster/quicker/easier than having a decent set of cheaper coilovers, to a point. As said a million times, I bought the K sports because I thought I'd give them a go. I'd read quite a few user reviews on US websites and they seemed to be different to the D2s which I dislike. D2s have horrible dampening and are unneedingly stiff and underdamped. The K sports in my cars are a whole world better. They feel better than my old worn JICS in my last laurel. They also feel better than the KYB AGX's I had in one of my 86s.

I have had no problems with them so far. They handle well and the dampers are of decent quality. I prefer the feel over KYB AGX which are japanese made shocks. My particular KYB AGXs had a fatal problem with the damper adjustment tuning mechanism. The inner tuning mechanism jammed about 10 days after I got them on the front left damper. THAT has not happened with my Ksports.

I noticed that thread with the d2 coilover that snapped, that wasn't because they are crap quality - that was SHEER MISUSE of the part and it could be expected to be damaged as would any other set of coilovers.

I don't understand how you could argue with what I have said in this thread in any way, I've presented my INFORMED opinion, unlike you monkeys that haven't actually driven on both systems. I'm unbiased and have offered feedback on my experience, not hearsay. I know suspension setups well enough to judge them. My Particular model of suspension is the one you are trying to burn, yet you've probably never driven on them. Neither have you personally seen any of them break or have faults. I HAVE seen a set of KYB AGX break in the adjustment mechanism.

If I can drive quickly in my car, feel safe while doing it and enjoy the experience, the suspension is doing it's job. There are varying degrees of how good it gets, and at some point you have to ask yourself when you can be satisfied with something. I personally would like to invest in a) whiteline poly bushes allround, B)a half cage, c)better rims and tyres consistently d) better seats and e)a 2 way LSD.
    By saving a grand over the most basic set of Teins, I'm already on my way into that list. If the Ksports were cap i'd trash them, but they actually surprised me with how capable they are.

How about from now on in this thread we have only people that have HANDS ON PERSONAL experience with the products post, rather than just keyboard warriors trying to act all high and mighty. Has anyone noticed yet that the 2 people that actually have and use the claimed shitty systems have basically nothing bad to say about them?

If you want to argue with any of this, you're a fucking idiot. You cannot tell me my suspension is crap, because you haven't tried it, and I have. I also am able to compare it to the systems that you are lauding. YOU AREN'T.

END OF STORY.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 21 2007, 07:43 PM) </div>

Mate, you have no place to try and burn me. You used to drive a commodore. The only way it would be taking a GTR would be possibly on a dragstrip, and as far as I'm concerned, thats not even worth wasting any more typing on.

Thats all I need to say.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 20 2007, 01:48 PM) </div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 21 2007, 07:12 AM) </div>That isnt first hand to you? This dude has stopped fitting them to cars because so many people have come back and complained to him about how shit they are. As if thats not enough proof?

Fair enough on your experisnces with K Sport but they are still "shiny crap" in my eyes, ill wait to see how they're doing in 2 years. The only non jap brand i have any props for is HSD, as they have been proven time and time again in Australia over the last few years, without breaking or having many warranty issues, that said, i wouldn't buy them, id by proven jap brands anyday. HSD are are made in Korea for what its worth, not china, not that the quality control would be any better.

Ill end my argument with this. Go to google. Type in "Quality Fade". Search for hours. Read was has been written by people in the know. Also go here while your at it, This will give you an idea of what outsourcing work does to industry just to gain an extra dollar. It shows how and why the quality is crap on said chinese scooters. This applies to almost all industries and can be related straight to car "modifying" parts, not just coilovers.

Yes the quality of Chinese made products will increase as quality becomes an issue, mainly due to the even cheaper labour offered by countries such as Vietnam. Even then, ill still doubt it.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

According to the Ksport sites both UK and US, they've been around for 10 years. I've found posts on forums going back 5 that indicate that the owners are happy with them. Also found out they are made in Taiwan, not China.

After searching some US forums, I've decided to post user opinions of Ksports. Note that there was some bad stuff said, but I didn't actually really find anyone that actually HAD a set and said bad stuff about it - thats the most important part.

From 2005*
    "'Im unsure about D2, but the Ksport are serviced in the states. I personally have them on my WRX and love them. Driven my friends CRX with them and they're great there too, and another friend who bought them for his 240sx has had nothing but good things to say about them (although I haven't ridden in it or driven it)"

"I have driven a car on a set for the past 3 months. And pushed it hard. For the street and aggresive driving. occasional track. Does the job pretty damn good for me. And it holds up to some of L.A. and hollywoods nastiest streets and freeways to a level that im amazed by. Surpassed my Tein SS in the durability dept."

"They're very high quality IMO. If you're in So Cal, check with the sponsor in my sig. They are the California distributor for Ksport and have it installed on their cars"

In regards to D2 vs Ksport,
    "same company= NO!!
    Manufactured at the same factory= YES!!
    K-sport has disclosed that on other forums*i read it on the 350z forum*, But each company has there input over design and engineering. I have even heard the new Apexi entry level coilovers are made at the same facility*dont quote me*, so if thats the case, what does that say??
    All im saying if the product works for the buyer. I could care less. I have driven on them and they did everything for me that my tein SS did, maybe a little more."

"I've got the K-Sports on my 90' EF H/B and I have to say they are the best bang for the buck when it comes to decent coil-overs."

"I have the kports on my EK hatch and I love them with the custom springs rates F=11k and rear=9k great on the track and good for the street with the dampening on a low setting, comparable with the over rated Tein Flex "

"I got my Ksports on yesterday and the ride is kick ass. Blows my friends GC and koni setup out of the water. "

"I've had my ksports since july in my 91 hatch. A little stiff for my taste in street driving but I am super happy with them. Only down side is I accidentlaly tossed the adjustment tools for the dampening :-("

"Very happy with my Ksports using 9/fr and 11/rear rates. This is on a 2g FWD DSM going from Eibach Pro-Kits and AGX shocks. Car feels much stiffer, but not harsh by any means, and ZERO body roll. I still need to play with the adjustments a tad, but overall I'm very happy. "

"All I know is that every customer I have provided Ksports to have never had problems nor have ever complained to me. Not everyone of my customers are also on honda-tech. I sell many setups to guys that race the H4 class who are on a limited budget, as well as many Turbo 4 Drag guys. Courtney Green who runs in the Sport FWD class is going to be my next Sport FWD customer. "

"I recently picked up a set of the Ksport Coilovers and LCA from Andy at BodykitsNW. This thread isnt a shameless BodykitsNW plug, but Andy has excellent customer service and is a pleasure to do business with.
    That being said, the coilovers appear to be a quality product. The components were well machined and fit together very nicely. One thing that would have been nice is if the springs were stamped or had a sticker on them to indicate what the spring rates are. The shocks have a nice combo bumpstop/dustboot which seems like a better design than my previous Tein HA and Buddy Club RSD which basically ate the dustboot away after a few thousand miles.

The LCA look identical to just about every other LCA on the market right now, only time will tell how well the bushings hold up after i get some miles on them. The LCA fit nice and snug when mounted to the subframe (UNLIKE my old Megan Racing LCA's that had lots of play and movement).

Driving impression:
    I havent put these things under much stress yet, but they will see some good track mileage at the ITR expo in less than 2 weeks. As far as street driving goes they feel great. I have had the damping set to full soft and they have felt solid, but not too harsh. I'm running 11k in the front and 9k in the rear. FYI: the "36 way adjustability" is just 4 complete turns of the adjusting tool...there are no clicks as mentioned before. So far I have no complaints and I will update this as soon as I'm back from Expo5 and give a more thorough report."

And I'm too tired to find more.
    11 user accounts in a few minutes searching plus my personal experience = win over some dude who told me his vl commodore can beat a GTR.

Name
    Cameron
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I have had custom springs(6/4kg) and kyb excel g shocks and I have now got the k sport coilovers(7.5/5.5kg) in the 86 and it handles so much better now. ALOT better!! When I was installing them I changed the rears first as as you would all know coilovers make the suspension captive on a live axle car. This improved considerably over the old setup and then when I installed the fronts it improved once again.
    I dont mind the stiffness of them on the street and the dampers are of a resonable quality from what I have gathered. I use these on mt runs and I have been out to QR for a track day and I was up there with other cars with the "good jap brand" suspension. I was outhandling them through corners and the only reason why they were getting away was because of the good ol 4ac. This is being changed soon to the 4agte which is in the courtyard so I wont have a problem with power.
    I do agree I will change the collar of the front coilover to the koni coilover sleeve kit and weld it on but still in sayin I havent had a problem yet.
    When I get into the racing side of things alot more I will see what else is out there that can provide damper bound and rebound adjustability....still searching. When I find that, only then will I fork out the big dollars.
    Cheers
    Dongaz

gunbz-r

thanks kona kid, need anythin let me know

lol guys is there one time i have bagged out k sport, no i said i wouldn't use em, and china has the fastest growin econoy, so what, are they still puttin out toys that are killin our kids, yes they fuckin are. look all of u shut up, wake up to urselves, this thread was so someone could find out whether its worth buyin d2 coilys, its been proven u shouldnt u can but u shouldnt. full fucking stop
    and as for racin mountains, how mant times have we watched 86 beat gtrs, evo, wrx's, mr, u name it doesnt mean that the suspension u are using, is the best in the world and itll never fail, and just out of curiousity how many of u build high performance cars for a living? do u deal with these cheap parts everyday, i dont think so. mate i have been doin performance work for nearly 4 yrs(my intire apprenticeship, bag me out for bein an apprentice, i learnt from one of the best shops in the country, so sit on my fat dik) i have een and experienced almost every brand of chinese coil over, most of them in subies, and most people will go back to conventional suspension, due to failures or poor ride quality. as for drivin a commodore, lol i dont, i used to i own one but i dont drive it, it has no motor, its waitin for a 1j mmmm 1j.

and guys get upset cause were baggin out YOUR suspension, thats ur only problem that were raggin on what u think is ur car, im not im baggin chinese parts, cause they lack quality yes it is possible that k sport may be the next big up n comers and good on em, good to see someone attempting to put out quality. but at the end of the day if u run these parts u run the risk. now can we get on to somethin else cause this is gettin sad,

gunbz-r

CONCLUSION

Chinese brand parts, lack quality, there are better sytems in the market for close to the same money. We advise you that using only quality parts will benefit u and ur car in the long run. Yes by all means go purchase the lesser quality gear, but u run the risk of premature failure, so we will advise against it. Good luck with it all, hope no one on here see's these failures, it would be a shame to thro that sorta money down the drian

DO NOT PURCHASE CHINESE PARTS, YOU MAY VERY WELL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

i agree with some of what gun bzr said

brand x susp is better etc etc

to be honest, i have seen kona kid drill people through the hills with cut falcons, now im not going to come on here and say falcons are good but if you can drive well you can drive through any issues

try and steer away from china and support real motorsport brands

most of all have fun!

Do it once do it right or dont do it at all....

Name
    Pete
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (letsgohunting @ Nov 21 2007, 12:51 PM) </div>let's stand back, and take a look at Nick Hogans "professional" (using that term extremely loosely) driving accomplishments:

Crash #1 -

Crash #2 -

Crash #3 -

And to think you are defending him? Someone that can't even initiate their car into a slide? The last time I checked, all you need to do to enter Formula-D in the US is do one solitary event, and pay a large sum of money. Which he clearly does well. More money than brains gets you quite far in the US nowadays, incase you haven't noticed.

Why don't you actually research who you defend in the future.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (letsgohunting @ Nov 21 2007, 12:51 PM) </div>I wont even dignify the rest of the post with an answer, aside from having worked my ass off for a motorsport engineering qualification, and my implicit trust of hipermax units, and the laughable proposition of 'coming to the 'hills and racing' people i've never met isn't really going to make you appear a hero, or acheive shit, is it?

Look, i respect your opinion, you're entitled to it - lets leave it at that.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

^^ just ANOTHER reason america has sold out JDM/drift

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast