Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Street Suspension Recommendations

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

For the spring rates that you guys recommended it seems that about its roughly around 6/4, such as 7/4.5 or 7/5, except for you guys that love extremely hard suspension. Would I have to run coilovers in the front? The streets that I drive around are usually quite rough and well hard springs and pot holes dont mix togeather. Does anybody know if lowered king springs would suit my situation? as I have seen them for other cars, but am unsure of the spring rates. If I'm lucky enough to not require my strut to be coiloverised where would I get the springs from? as in would they have to be custom made or ???

Cheers, David
    Last edited by SXC-086; 27th December 2008 at 01:53 AM.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

whats your budget?

for a low budget...

I would buy some decent shocks first (shorter stroke) and cut your springs making sure they are still captive with the shocks (i.e. 1 to 1.5 coils no more) see how you like that. Then go for some poly bushes for the lca and caster rods. Then some decent tyres and a good alignment.

there is nothing wrong with cutting a small amount of springs as long as they are kept captive.

i wouldnt bother with king springs. probly go with something from our sponsers... that way you get the height and the rate you want. and theyre easier to deal with

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

id say for street 5kg front, 4kg rear, i got 7.5 front and 6.5 rear and it kills myback now after a few months

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Have to agree with AE86
    I've driven 2 ta22's with similar spring rates, one with 5kg front, 4kg rear and another with 4kg front, 3kg rear, both running whiteline swaybars.
    Either of these setups feels good on the street and great on the track.
    I wouldn't go too stiff, especially if you are going to run stiff damping.

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

Would you happen to have any shocks in mind? I remember reading somewhere that alot of people use something HTS-102??? I'm pretty sure they were short stroke but they're quite expensive. Also shichi~ said that he uses SW20 shocks on the front, are these shorter than the stock ae86 shocks? From what people have said it looks like I will be going for 5/4 does anyone have any recommended places where I can get these springs preferably in Sydney and not too expensive.

Right now its got the D2 Coilover (Came with the Car, Less than 1000km old) and the springs are really hard as I said before I think they were 8kg rear and something else front, if I jack up the back of the car and then let it down in the rears there is no droop at all, and if I sit on the edge of the car it will only go down an inch about 2 max. When driving on the Syd/Newcastle Freeway you could feel every single bump including the thin painted lines, it would literally feel as if you were driving down a set of steps.

The car is also due for rego in another month and most certainly will not pass with the D2's on there, so I was planning just to get some stock shocks and springs just to pass inspection. Unless what you guys are suggesting will pass inspection as long as I don't drop it too low with most likely 5/4 springs.

Thanks

Cheers, David

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yesh if ur gona use budget shocks can use KYB excel-G all around their short strokers just not adjustable and not as stiff, if u got moneys kyb st185front /sw20rear shocks AGX models will do wonders and dampener adjustable and prob as short as u could find, and not sure for rear ? i use KYB super series fairly short stroke im running them on 200mm/6.5kg springs atm and still lots of space to absorb more

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

Would you happen to have a part number? Do you run coilovers? Approximately how much would the Excel-G shocks cost? or how much more do you think the AGX KYB's shocks would be against the Excel-G's. I know you cant give an exact price as they vary from place to place but a ball park igure would be nice.

Thanks
    Cheers, David

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

ST185 AGX 765015 (fronts, engine/box over the front wheels, valved accordingly)

SW20 AGX 765016 (rears, engine/box over the rear wheels, valved accordingly)

prices well if ur not a tradey prob around 500 for the pair from bursons, agx's shit all over excel id say from the price diff or biased ppl can say we paying alot for nothing, u pay for quality id say, never tried excel-g but my rear dampener adj kyb super series are awesome, im heading towards AGX's for the front too man, im running coilovers at the moment with my 7.5kg springs but got no shocks so my cars off the road for a while till i find something worthy of them

Name
    Amulday
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

For street I'm running KYB Excel-G's with a 7/5 combo of AJPS Springs. Pretty damn hard but not uncomfortable on the road (And that's country roads), Just avoid pot holes and the likes..

There was no real need for me to have any dampening adjustability to begin with, maybe in 6/9 months if I feel I've outgrown the shocks and need something with adjustability I will upgrade but for the moment the excel-g's hold their own. I should note I also upgraded all the bushes to Super Pro's, run a beefy front sway bar, tri-strut brace and rear bracing, it's more than enough to get loose on the track.
    Last edited by amulday; 27th December 2008 at 01:45 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast