Thread: Coilover Heights??

Does anyone think I'll have problems using some front S13 Tein coilovers or similar? I've been reading around and asking a few people and they say to go with HKS because they are the longest...?
    I don't want the car to sit crazily low which I've heard some coilovers will do even when fully adjusted?

He's asking $450 for the fronts with cambertops, does that sounds alright?

Also I have been talking to someone who did the conversion in their car and they said the ONLY mod they needed was to re-drill the s13 LCA's? And the rest of the standard front end bolted up (with coilovers), does this sound right? (And yes I have read the tech article )

Name
    Greg
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

no, you need everything from the LCA upwards. so, you need.

- AE86 Camber tops
    - LCA
    - Hub carrier/stub axle/Steering knuckle (obviously with the hub still attached)
    - Brake rotor
    - Brake caliper

you will have to slightly modify the S13 Control arm to accept your caster rod input, or modify your caster rod mounting to accept the S13 caster rod.

I'm using Kei Office coilovers in my opinion they are the best to use, but whatever you do! GET BASE ADJUSTABLE COILOVERS! A Friend is using JIC coilovers, they are slightly short with the standard spring.

Edit: sorry, i misread your post. The only modifications that need doing are the LCA, and if you don't intend to run AE86 camber tops, you have to elongate two of the top holes in the tower.

Thanks for that reply, was just what I needed to know. What is the easiest way to go about marking the new holes on the LCA? Mount it all on the car?
    I have everything you listed except for some coilovers/camber tops so as soon as I find some cheap enough I'll give it a go

What did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking?

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hey mate, i am said friend in bahnuggets post

as he said, make sure you get base adjustable coilovers, you need to get as long as possible, my JICs work well, but only just....

as for the LCA modification, you need to drill a hole for the castor rod, here is a pic

-You need to drill the hole with the pink X in it

-the red holes and dotted lines are the original S13 castor rod

-the blue dottted lines are the ae86 castor arm

hope you like my mad mspaint skillz :lol:

baht i didnt read it properly, just drill a hole in line with the other one, and it'll fit in, you cant go too wrong with it
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Ahh yeh I get what you are saying, might be a bit differnt for the S13 LCA but I should be able to work it out hopefully By base adjustable, is that the same as height adjustable? Or something else?

Name
    Greg
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

base adjustable coilovers are adjustable by the base as well as the spring perch..

basically for the drilling of the S13 control arm, i just bolted it all in, got the AE86 caster rod and saw where needed to be drilled, got the drill and drilled it Its pretty easy.

I paid 600 for my front coilovers but they'd just been rebuilt, so $450 is reasonable.

Ahh ok I understand now thanks. I'll have a go when I find a decent set as those ones have been sold and see how I go

Cheers