Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Tech Articles - Please write in the FAQ From Now On

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah thanks, now thinking about it I will add a little bit on how to allow for different pistons.
    30kw club

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

ok people I want to know what articles do you guys want to see added to the FAQ section next? I am still working on my fuel system guide but is there anythign else that should be added?

I want to make our wiki something really decent and even if I am the only one still adding crap then so be it.
    30kw club

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Whats the protocol for editing incorrect information? do you have to contact the author, or is it like wiki where you just do it?

Name
    Sameul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Just edit it and leave something like "last edited by Anthony"

the FAQ is a public resource

WHOEVER wants to change it can change it, and nobody in particular is in charge or NEEDS to be notified before an edit

No matter who they think they are... Hey Atlas...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anthony @ May 5 2008, 11:52 PM) </div>

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah Anthony its as Nick says, anyone can make a change. However if its one of my articles and its been edited then please let me know if you can as i want to know for myself where I am wrong, thats all.
    30kw club

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

did a quick one:

pictorial guide to replacing a rusted out body section:

30kw club

Ru-iki

How about an article which actually explains offsets, wheel widths, backspace, stud pattern and diameters correctly and scientifically, with the idea that the user can learn to calculate what will fit for themselves.

I know there is already a guide listed, but it focusses more around blankly stating what will fit on an 86 and what wont. This all goes out the window when you have flared gaurds and folded lips etc. I feel it would be a more flexible and practical resource if it gave people the information about how they can calculate things for themselves on their own cars. The existing guide is quite decent, though, I don't mean to critiscise.

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

in the 1 stop diff info it says ra40 diffs mounts don't line up properly to directly bolt inot an e7 or 86. i run this diff in my car and put it in myself and know that it all fit in perfectly.
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Sameul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

meaning that there may be some variation in RA40 diffs

Please add that fact to the FAQ

Ru-iki

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nick @ May 12 2008, 11:37 AM) </div>
    Here are the measurement variations I measured between RA40 Series One and Kouki JDM AE86 diff mounts:

ADM RA40 / Top 4 link inner spacing: 519 / Bottom 4 link inner spacing: 977 / Spring hat centre spacing: 950

JDM AE86 / Top 4 link inner spacing: 494 / Bottom 4 link inner spacing: 980 / Spring hat centre spacing: 930

Its very close. Make up your own mind about whether it fits. Several people have used them with no issues.

I believe the spring hats are smaller diameter on the RA40 diff as the springs were tapered. RA40 has bigger drums also. Requires tailshaft modification, to use the RA40 tailshaft rear section. I believe it can be done with a t18 rear half shaft but have not tried it.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, the mounting points on the ra40 diff all seem to be a few mm offset further forwards on the housing, effectively making the diff sit further back in the car. Just something I noticed. Tailshafts have some ability to move back and forth so its probably not a practical issue as far as fitting and using it goes, just a bit less spline contact in the gearbox perhaps.

See the tapered RA40 spring and the different sized hats:
    [attachment=25720:dash_install_038.jpg]

The paternal twins:
    [attachment=25719:2_diffs.jpg]

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast