Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: when do you call it quits?

Oldschool Member

hey guys, first post here, long time reader (usually live on toymods)... but i have an interesting topic to ask.

i own a cat piss yellow ke70 (still 4k) but pretty much all the suspension is done on the car.
    this includes:
    -ajps coilovers, 8kg spring etc
    - ps arms
    - lock spacers
    - sigma lca's (new balljoints, bushes etc)
    - ra40 tierod ends and rack ends
    - t3 rose jointed 4 links and rose jointed panhard rod
    - T-Series diff with locker
    - rear whiteline swaybar
    - 6kg rears with kyb shocks.

there is more, but essentially its all installed in a ke70, with a 4k. currently the car owes me close to $4000. taking into mind, basically all the suspension on the car is done. the only thing left is the motor.

when do you call it quits? if i put a 16 4age in it, it will owe me an extra $2500 or so. the car will slide ok, but nothing great... and if i parted it out and sold it, i could come close to what ive spent my money on.

so the question: would you bother going any further with the ke70? or sell it, keep the $2500 for the 16v and get myself something with more potential? and also state why you would do this? i like the car, but to make it any better then sliding in rain is alot of money, for an engine with not much power. whereas i could combine the cost of a 4ag swap + the sellage of the ke70 and (plus alittle more coin) i could pickup one already setup monster (laurel looks tempting)

tell me what you think
    cheers guys, Tony.

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ke70's have plenty potenial, do the 16v conversion, its worth it
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/731/43367425735d6c87ce7bo.jpg

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

it all the depends on the condition of the body. if your body is straight rust free etc i'd put a new engine in. if the body is a bit iffy then i'd return it to stock and sell it for a grand or whatever then buy something wit stock suspension and a gze in it. what condition is the body in? it might help other people tell u their opinion
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Oldschool Member

it shouldn't be about the money, it should be about the car, if all your equating is what its worth, dont bother, buy an excel and be done with it. ive seen friends spend tens of thousands of dollars testing and retesting all different suspension combinations, thats money they will never get back but they love theyre car that much that they want it to be the best that it can be.

thats why i have a 1974 ke20 pos that im restoring that will never be worth anything but i still love it to death, and i want to see i returned to its former glory.

obviously its going to be easier to go buy an s13, turbo, manual, coilovers, diff and its easy dry slide car but everyman and his dog does that and its very easy, ur chosing something different, the underdog. mumblezz hasnt owned his 4ag ke for years but stories still come up from it where he saw his best drifting in (many ppl have said)

i own an 86 and silvia and am selling the silvia, very easy to slide and extremely fun but the hachi is what i love and is more then a car. dunno were all different.

mate, if your selling your shell, cheap price all together, and if ur body is pretty good, i'll consider buying it off ya!

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

................ 6.5k all up?

it is very unlikely you will be able to put your hands on a nissan for that much that is anywhere near as fun to drive. unless youre seriously hooked up/getting a bargain off a mate.

have you even ever driven a ke70 with a 4ag? i have. so has (does) v tec.

and also, if its all done.. then youre likely to maybe loose around a grand on it tops if you decide to sell it after you do the conversion.

small price to pay really for a car that is pretty capable.

to be honest though you kinda sound like a lost cause.
    78's

Oldschool Member

nope, i havent driven a 4age ke70.... main reason being i dont have access to one. to be perfectly honest, ive never driven a nissan either.

good point regarding the nissan availability.

its by far not a loss cause, but im sure there is always a time where this type of scenario gets thrown around with every car build.

Name
    Justin
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

When do you call it quits?

When you write a shell.

Then you get another one.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

The 4age conversion will wake the car up like no tomoro, it will all make sense then.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast