Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rear coilovers

Name
    underwood
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

hey guys i no its probably been asked b4 but just wanna no what trouble, or why people dont use rear coilovers that often or as much as conventional set ups on ae86's

riojin

use search. its been covered many times

A: Heaps of people do it so it should be fin/ pros do it so i can do it too

B: As soon as you hit a bump it will punch through.

I think it would be a wise option to reinforce the attachment point, because after all it is very thin, even if it didn't punch though, some peace of mind would be nice, as well as less flex.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Sorry if this sounds like i'm talking down to some of you, but i want spell this out very clearly.

There is alot of debate over the use of Coil-over-shock style suspension on the rear of an xE7x / AE68.

This is because the only place to 'mount' the coil-overs (and this mounting point is used in 'bolt on' coil-over kits) is the factory Shock absorber mount.

Now, the reason this is bad is because instead of spreading the load between the spring perch and shock mount, you move all the load onto the shock mounts. Let it be said that the spring perch generally takes more of the load, and at the body end of the deal, it is somewhat stronger than the shock mount.

And therin lies the debate.

Some people are hellbent on preaching that you shouldn't run coil-overs in the rear of an xE7x / AE68, and that because the shock mount to the body is so weak and is taking much more load than normal, that failure is immanent.

Those who support the use of coil-overs in the rear generally have little more than the 'my mate's AE86 has run rear coil-overs for the past 2 years no probs' story to support their argument. This is not demeaning them, this is just my observation.

But, to put all the here-say aside, why do people want to run rear coil-overs in the first place?

The they don't give any advantages over your normal separated shock / spring setups performance-wise. NONE.
    There is no reason that your 8 way adjustable coilovers are any better than an 8 way adjustable shock and spring of the same rate.

There are only 4 Reasons ANYBODY would EVER want coilovers, and these are what it boils down to:

1 ) They are quicker to remove (OH so slightly) than a conventional shock / spring (on an xE7x / AE68 at least)

2 ) Some brands offer adjustable ride height, which is good for some.

3 ) In most cases, the springs will remain fully captive (not in all cases, thanks for pointing that out David.)

4 ) Now this is the main one. Wank factor.

Seriously, it's awesome when you can tell the boys that your car now has Coilovers all round. But they will give you no notable performance advantage over a conventional separate shock / spring arrangement.

Buy them if you want. A good shock / spring combo will outlast it and generally be cheaper.

I'd recommend bracing the shock to body mounts just for piece of mind if you do.

Javal.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    underwood
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

cheers javal

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (350hp4agte @ Nov 19 2007, 06:48 PM) </div>No probs, it's fun to have an informative rant sometimes.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Pete
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

standard setup is superior in everyway, height/spring adjustability excepted. provided you use respected parts, not chinese made bullshit.

Name
    Felix
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

mitch, i have coilovers in the rear of my ke

you can cruise over here and check them out one of these weekends, or once i can drive again (3 weeks) i'll come over to yours

I've had the diff mounts re-inforced and have had no drama's what so ever

I mostly did it cause i picked them up for the same price as a good shock and spring setup and was keen on the height adjustability (works wonders)

Bad Email Address

Alot of people will talk shit about rear coil overs, Like javal just did.
    But in his defence, he is correct in saying that theres no need to go coilover setup unless you wanna be heigh adjustable.

I run coil overs all round, and when I snap a mount or physically see some one else snap amount.
    Then Ill back up Javals claims.

But untill then ill put it down to another one of those 'i read on a US forum that a guy snapped his therefore all coilovers in the rear are bad'

my 2 cents

*hugs javal*

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

KE70 and AE86 are different in one area and that is a reinforced area the 86 has that the 70 doesn't. it is like a spring perch and my old coilovers used this to retain the spring therefore did not place the force on the shock mount.

i still believe they can be run IN AN AE86 without reinforcement BUT ONLY IN THIS MANNER

i'll get pics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast