Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thumbs down

Well sort of a funny story

well circumstance is funny, might be expensive yet, we'll see how funny it is then :lol:

I recently made an ally tray to protect my carbs from dirt and shit, i had to remove it as it was blocking 2 ports that were needed to make the carbs run spot on. Now it had taken me all day to realise this was the fault and u had chased fuel supply issues and possible ignition failures. i only realised the tray was at fault as i was beginning to remove the carbs and spotted the holes when i removed the trumpets etc!!!

in my excitement i quickly fitted the trumpets back on (no tray) and went for a drive.

well today i have learnt i did not tighten the trumpets up in all my excitement. it appears i merely nipped them up. this became evident last night when on my drive home from work (11pm) my tunes were accompanied by a few odd clunks and bangs, thinking nothing of it i continued on my merry way.

a few klms from my place i heard quite a large clunk which ricocheted into the floor.

"wtf was that?!?!, meh its like nearly tomorrow already i must have left a screwdriver under the bonnet when i was mucking with stuff" I thought.

car drove fine right up until my street where it developed a misfire, "weird, will look at it tomorrow"

tomorrow comes (toady ) and i pop the bonnet to find number 3 trumpet gone (thankfully lodged between the rack and crossmember) missing nuts and bolts to retain said trumpets. all is not lost i can merely reattach said parts and pretend nothing ever happened, well that is of course until i realise number 3 auxillary venturi is gone leaving quit a large vacant hole.

"oh shit, that was the clunk"

calm down, don't stress, head down to where i heard it. 5 minutes of strange looks and gutter burrowing i find the missing piece in a flower bed

"YES!!!!!!!!" i declare as i hold the piece above my head in an unfounded display of extreme happiness, getting married having child paled in comparison to the feeling enveloping me*. this was to be a short lived glory, the sun hits my trophy and the perfect cylindrical item i should be looking at in utmost admiration is a now strange egg shaped tube, somewhat reminisent of a squashed toilet roll.

one is now not as psyched as one should be after thinking he has solved a great mystery in less than 10-15 minutes.

this leaves me in a predicament i now need to source 1x auxillary venturi for a 40mm side draught weber carb part number 69912 (thanks google) so i need to find someone who sells this shit new, or source a busted carb that i can cannibalise

here lies the lesson friends

no matter how excited you are to have performed your latest mod or fixed your latest hiccup and regardless of how highly you rate your mechanical prowess, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your work. do not rely in your apparent ability to do it right straight up

oh and its always the simplest of errors that bite the hardest

*disclaimer: no where near as good feeling

Name
    Greg
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

bah

gunbz-r

i know ur pain, i hav done this manytimes, lol except my clunk was my oil filter. thank fuck for oil pressure warning lights

Name
    zilla
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

I feel for you.

I just put quad throttles on my 16v, had it running for the first time yesterday. As I was bolting up the trumpets I found that one of the two tapped threads in each throttle body was completely stripped by some dickhead that owned them before me. I bought them online, so couldn't check up close for such things - I just *assumed* people knew how to tighten a steel bolt in cast alloy.

Its not the end of the world, I can helicoil them but its just a pain. I considered being stingy and using only 1 x bolt for each trumpet but have since changed my mind.

Name
    Justin
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Vice + Welder = Cheering

sorry bout that bro. hope you can fix that somehow. ive had those same feelings. i felt like crap when i locked my hachi with the keys inside, then felt the most happy moment of my life when my brother pried the door a bit and unjammed the lock. sadly, the key housing for the passenger door got butt raped, and those are a bitch to replace, if you want to keep using the same key that is.

Name
    Jeremy
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I cleaned the cooler on the mr2 one night, tightened the clamps cept for the last one and went inside to get a drink and got disctracted. Came out the next day and took it for a drive. Took it casualy while she warmed up, then when she was opend it up and WOMMMMMP ....*car stalls* WTF!. got out, popped hatch, ARGH FUCK that last clamp.

riojin

mate the venturi looks straight as to me. i dont see the problem :blink:

i seriously do stuff like that all the time. i shouldnt be allowed to work on anything. its like when i put different rear wheels on. i take the old ones off, put new ones on and do the bolts up hand tight. i think to myself ill tighten them with that X spinny thingy for the nuts (i dont even know the names of things) when i drop it back to the ground. i never remember. i remember driving on the highway and the car shaking and not knowing what it is i pull over and find out the problem. i do it atleast once a month.....

Name
    Jeremy
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Guy i know did the same thing, but he's so much of a dumbass that he kept driving till his back wheels over took him. :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Nov 26 2007, 06:17 PM) </div>

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

possibly one of the hardest things i thought i'd ever have to source may be a simple phone call away. apparantly there is a dude in my locality that has thousands of webers and associated bits

winner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast